All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 10:40 

Good morning, guys!
Long time no talk
I have a question concerning breaking a trapping, what looked to be a zone press. I'm coaching 11-12 year olds and last night we played a team whose players were smaller than most of our players, but thanks to their trapping press we almost lost. We have worked this year on breaking a m2m press and have been very successful with a 3 across quick pass up the court style. But last night, the team we played allowed the ball to come in and then doubled teamed the dribbler. (We have also worked extensively on backing up the dribble to create space and I was pleased to see the kids do that. However, most of the time the remaining offensive players had a tendency to stand and watch rather than help.) Any drills we can do to help instill a press-break mentality? We usually only get 1 -2 hours a week and only get a half court on which to practice.

Thanks!

Mark
Coach 12UB Nuggets
I[/size]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 11:27 

I have two press breaks, one for M2M and one for a zone press. Our zone press breaker dealt with exactly what you're describing. It is a modified version of this: http://www.hoopsplaybook.ca/press_breaks/hurley_flood.html We have cutters coming across to give the ball handler options.

It's tough with limited time in practice, but if you can do it, set up different scenarios and have siblings/parents help on defense. Set up a 2-2-1 and 1-2-2. Let the team trying to beat the press show you where they would go. They'll figure out quickly it's all about finding the holes/gaps. Every zone has gaps. If you can set up a few common zone presses and show them what that press is trying to do, then show them the weaknesses in that zone, they'll play smarter come game time.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 11:55 

Thanks! We'll give these a try tomorrow at practice.

Mark
Coach
12UB Nuggets

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 12:03 

And just for general info, I got frustrated with the officials last night because they would always grab the ball and hold it after a made shot or dead ball change of possession and let the defense set up. :-P

Mark
Coach
12UB Nuggets

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 12:20 

Good infor from Coach Rob for breaking the press -

As for the refs, must be rookies.... maybe before the next game you can ask the officials what the rule is for this....

After a made shot the ball is live and they shouldn't handle it... on a dead ball they usually give the ball to the inbounder.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 12:30 
Site Admin

Here's the press break I use.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/press-breaker.html

For man to man press, I just get the ball inbounds and then clear out for the PG to bring it up.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 12:38 

Thanks for all the replies and help guys!

Sincerely appreciate it!

Mark
Coach
12UB Nuggets

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 12:38 

Mark Johnson wrote:
And just for general info, I got frustrated with the officials last night because they would always grab the ball and hold it after a made shot or dead ball change of possession and let the defense set up.
The officials shouldn't be grabbing the ball after a made shot unless there's a whistle. Are you saying the opponent would shoot, make a shot, and the officials would grab the ball out of the net handing it to your players to inbound?

Assuming you get some officials that don't do that I found the easiest way to beat a zone press is to not let them set it up. Get the ball in quickly and move down the court with sharp passes or if you have a really good PG, do like Jeff suggested.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 17:58 

Yep, it was like they thought they should let the other team get ready. :-P

Thanks!

Mark
Coach 12UB
Nuggets