All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 23:00 

My team is pretty solid fundamentally except for shooting from the perimeter. Our scoring is dependent on our post player who teams have started guarding the following ways: front before the catch and doubling on the catch, doubling (front and behind) befoe the catch and tripling if he does catch. We're having trouble stretching the defense because we struggle to hit shots. We're working constantly on our shooting to help, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas or thoughts on ways to get him open in the post. Any quickhitters, or motion principles are welcome. I'm thinking more transition to get him the ball before they get their d set and find him and some 5 out and have him cutting in so he's not as easy to deny. Thoughts? I'm afraid though the biggest thing is though that my guards are going to have to knock down a few shots.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 09:26 
Site Admin

There are thousands of quick hitters for this. I'm not big into spending time teaching plays for something like this so I'll let other guys chime in for those.

No matter what offense you run, if your attack is one dimensional you'll struggle. You need a balanced attack for spacing and good offense. I would keep working on developing shooters. And let them take some shots in a game. I have found that the majority of teams out there will still come out on a player even if they only hit 1 or 2 out of 10 shots. They key is for the shooter to be confident, face, and be a threat. They need to catch the ball and think shot. Let one or two fly. Even if they miss, the defense will probably come out because to them it's an insult that a guy is getting a shot up on them.

I usually have a few kids on the team that can't shoot from the outside at all. But defenders still come way out on them. Why? I guess they don't know any better and/or it's a pride thing. And we do have our guys always face and be a threat even if they can't shoot.

I'm a big believer in developing players and my suggestion is to keep focusing on that. With patience it will pay off. Develop as many multi-threat scorers as you can. That's the best offense I know of.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 10:07 

I agree with Jeff - I don't like a lot of quick hitters..... you are better off teaching them fundamentals which will help them in the long run. Let your kids take some outside shots... long shots usually go off the back side and at times result in longer rebounds ( hope I said that right ) Let him be a GREAT rebounder and score that way.... like Jeff said, hit a few outside shots and that will open up the post area.

IF he does get the ball in the post, turn and face up..... opposite side should be open if he is being double teamed and the back side elbow too.

How old is this team? I do like the 5 out concept, especially IF they are playing m2m... that makes it a lot more difficult to double team him when he gets the ball.

You could run a 1-4 high also..... that might make it tougher to double team him also.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 12:45 

eagle wrote:
Our scoring is dependent on our post player who teams have started guarding the following ways: front before the catch and doubling on the catch, doubling (front and behind) befoe the catch and tripling if he does catch.
It appears teams are realizing your dependency on this player and shutting him down. As a coach, that's one of the first methods I use to gain an advantage in a game. If I sense a team uses one player too much, we shut them down.

I would tend to allow a few more shots from the perimeter as has been suggested, just to mix it up. Not sure what kind of offense you run, but a 4 out 1 in spread wide would allow more dribble penetration if your guys can dribble drive. Pick and rolls are underrated in my opinion. Maybe really working your big guy on those in practice could help also.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 12:01 

Thanks guys.
Too answer Coach Sar - we're a high school team. The answers are pretty much what I believe as well (work on players - not plays). We already run 4 out, unfortunately the defense sags so far off many times we can't penetrate either. Luckily the last 3 games we've started hitting some from outside and that's helped our results. I've not tried using 4 high or putting him in many ball screens, but we may look at that if our shooting trend doesn't continue.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 13:13 

No doubt about it Eagle - You need to hit some outside shots to open up some space for your big man.

You miight try HIM setting a good screen for your best shooter and then roll back to the ball. They always say that the player that sets the best screens are thr guys/gals that can get open. Just some thoughts - let us know how things are going.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 11:02 

Just wanted to let everyone know that we ended our season on a high note. My young guards just kept getting better and better and my post player was able to become more and more effective. We switched to a 3 out 2in look which was more effective for us and finished the season by losing a nail biter in our league's tournament. Was disappointing, but was much further than we were predicted to go! Thanks guys, for all the suggestions.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 12:32 

Congrats! Always nice when you see improvement like that during a season. Means you're doing something right.