All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 11:36 

Didn't know this was football, did ya?!? (It's basketball, I promise!)

Well, I would upload it, but I have no idea how...PDF format...

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 16:36 

Not sure if the forum is set up for attaching docs. Think you can reference an image or url from a hosted site though.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 10:32 
Site Admin

Attachments are now enabled and should work. See below the post for the upload options.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 07:23 

These are the two sets that we use most often, depending who is in the game. There are SO many options with either of them, but any critiques for this second year head coach is appreciative. My first year group put the Spread play together as a team building excerise. I tweaked it a little, but not much.

Attachments:
File comment: Five
five.pdf [804.78 KiB]
Downloaded 1998 times
File comment: Option Spread
Spread.pdf [482.49 KiB]
Downloaded 2133 times

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 07:51 

We have devised a few different ways to start the Five play out. We called this X Five and Players 2 and 3 would signal it by holding their arms in an X above their heads for the PG to see.

Instead of just down screening for the wings, we have the wings jab step out like they are going perimeter, then cut back to the lane and cross about mid way from the free throw line. Players 4 and 5 would still be responsible for the initial screen, but just as the wings jab step, they release the screen and cross to screen the opposite wings defender. Sort of like releasing a block in football, but the first screens are usually just bump screens to throw the defender off with the second screen being a hard screen. This creates a HUGE mess in the middle with the 4 and 5 defenders having no idea where to go and if your wings are shifty enough, they can make it through for wide open looks.

Each time we did this, we would end up having either 4 or all 5 defenders in the paint (the 1 defender got caught "watching" a few times, so my PG just blew by him for a layup) and could get some pretty easy open 3's. They do eventually figure it out, but that's the beauty of this set. We came up with a TON of different ways to play this out. I.E. Starting with the 2 and 3 crossing UNDER the basket, 2 and 3 starting in front of 4 and 5 and crossing under the basket (all the while, Player 1 is not stationary, he has to make the defender repsect him.)

The images Five10, Five11, and Five12 below show this...

Attachments:
Five10.jpg
Five10.jpg [ 92.97 KiB | Viewed 29737 times ]
Five11.jpg
Five11.jpg [ 90.42 KiB | Viewed 29737 times ]
Five12.jpg
Five12.jpg [ 81.81 KiB | Viewed 29738 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 04:45 
Site Admin

How old are the players? What are their strengths? What are they good at? Are they big, small, slow, fast, shooting, dribblers, drivers, etc?

What do you run for transition offense? Press breaker? Zone offense? It all should fit together.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 04:59 

The players are between 13-15 years old. Last year we were an excellent 3 point shooting team that could also penetrate. We only had 1 decent big man so we tried to get it to him down low if we could. We didn't run much in the way of transition offenses because so many teams were faster than us, so I had my PG pull back and slowly bring it up the court and give us a chance to settle in(albeit giving the defense the same).

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 06:00 
Site Admin

Play 5 looks like a 3 out 3 in screen away offense. Fairly popular offense. I'm sure if you get players really good at it, show some patience, and pound the ball inside, it can work pretty well. Just like any offense, if you develop fundamentals, teach them how to make decisions, how to use screens properly, etc... about anything can work.

When we played against teams using that offense at that age level, it was pretty easy for us to defend. Everyone knows what is going to happen. So you better be really good at it. We just clogged up the middle, switched all post screens, and pressure the ball. They had trouble scoring. With that said, I'm sure a team with the right personnel and really good fundamental execution can make it work. Just about anything with good spacing, etc will work. It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Now keep in mind, this is just my opinion, what I am comfortable with, and what works for me. But based on my experience it's better to have one offense and get really good at it. Why have two that players have to learn? You have to spend plenty of time teaching it, getting gets to remember, and that is time taken away that could instead be spent on developing fundamentals (better shooters, dribblers, passers, screeners, etc).

Your spread offense seems to fit your personnel a little better. This is just me, but I would turn your spread into more of a free form motion offense. Right now it's fairly predictable and unless you have really good players that can isolate, make plays, and execute, I would think it would become stagnant against good defensive teams.

For example, you can use your "4 out 1 in" formation and use the players a little more freedom by adding some really simple rules. This saves teaching time and makes your offense more unpredictable. A simple rule could be, when you pass, either screen away or basket cut. Second rule, if you are covered, either screen away or basket cut. The defense is off balance because they never know if they need to take away a basket cut or if a screen is coming. Your post could just run the triangle, stay high, or do what ever you want him to.

I would of course add a few more rules (like maintain spacing) but you get the idea. If you want more free form motion offense ideas, let me know. We also use our motion against zone. So it takes 20 minutes to teach our offense for everything. The rest of the time is spent teaching kids how to get better at executing basket cuts vie breakdown drills, screens, reading screens (look to curl, if they jump the screen, fade, etc), shooting, passing, and so on.

Anything simple you can do to make your spread a little more unpredictable and give your players more freedom "to play" would be good. But that is just my opinion. You of course need to make sure they maintain good spacing, get the ball inside with dribble or pass, get ball reversals, take good shots, and take care of the ball. Those are attributes of all good offenses no matter what you run.

Those are my thoughts. You have to go with what you believe in.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 09:45 

I appreciate your honesty. I really like the idea about giving them simple rules to follow. They may be able to understand that. I found it funny that I happened to come across an old play book from a coach a few years back. It was a 2 inch binder full of plays, this was the PLAYERS PLAYBOOK. Isn't it a little early having them memorize so many plays? I want to keep things somewhat simple, but giving them the freedom to create and do.

The 5 is a play that the school has run for many years and its taught at our young recreational level, so we start there because they know it. I usually put in the Spread offense in after the first week of practices and see how they react. The only other offense I have is an Overload offense to combat a zone (ugh) defense.

I knw this is only Middle School ball, but this is where the foundations are set. Since I only get players for two years, the dynamic of my team is changing constantly. My backup PG last year had to be comfortable with slowing down the offense and working it around the perimeter for an open outside look or finding the collapse in the defense and drive in. This year, it seems that we may have more height and it may be more of an inside-out look as we lost all of our key perimeter players (with some supposedly new perimeter talent coming in) on to high school.

That being said, I feel that if I must switch based on personel, then that PG should have a great foundation in both types of offense. IF we get some speed this year, I would like to implement a fast break transition, but who knows. Open Gyms are still a month away and Tryouts are at the beginning of December...