All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 05:21 

Coaches....
What are some things that you do to help your team recognize what a good shot is in transition and when not to take the shot in Transition?

This year, more than any other year, we are going to be a Transition team on makes and misses, but we also wnt to be a patient Motion team in the half-court when an easy shot opportunity is not presented in Transition.

Thanks!

-Dave Stahnke

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 06:52 

Hi Dave -

I think that if you can teach your kids this.... IF you have numbers, then you should be able to get a good look - IF NOT, REVERSE the ball and see what you have and be ready to go into your offense.

They also have to know that what is a good shot for Player A may not be a good shot for Player D.

Remember, whatever you allow them to do in practice is what they will do in games.

Ken

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 07:04 
Site Admin

Dave,

I like Don Kelbick's philosophy regarding fast break. That's what I use and it works great. Simple and with some of the drills it's easy to get players running it right. Here's a short and relevant excerpt from the ebook that goes along with his fast break DVD (http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/Fast-break-transition-kelbick.html)...

RUNNING THE BREAK

Running a transition offense, at least a good one, is a lot more than just running up and down the floor as fast as you can. For a break to be truly effective in a transition system, the break must fit seamlessly with which ever half court offense you have chosen to run.

The purpose for a transition system is to take advantage of your opponent’s break downs while they are changing from offense to defense or from defense to offense. It is designed to take control of and lengthen the transition period. Openings will exist as your opponent is making the transition, giving your team a great opportunity to take advantage of openings. It would be counter productive to your goals and objectives if you had to hold the ball out to reset your offense and give the defense a chance to organize and defend.

BREAK OBJECTIVES

When running a transition game, I think the single most important things to establish are your break objectives. What do you want to get out of your break? Coaches do it with the offense. Coaches do it with the defense. How many coaches address it with their break?

I don’t expect anyone to assume my priorities. But, since this is my writing, below are my objectives.

Situation - > Objective
2 on 1 -> Lay-up
3 on 1 -> Lay-up
4 on 1 -> Lay-up
3 on 2 -> Lay-up, mid-range shot on reversal
4 on 2 -> Lay-up
5 on 2 -> Lay-up
4 on 3 -> Transition Offense
5 on 3 -> Lay-up, Mid-range shot on reversal
5 on 4 -> Transition Offense

I do not believe in running an advantage break for a jump shot or a 3. I have enough confidence in anything I run on offense to be able to get a jump shot or a 3 when we want. To waste an advantage situation to chuck on up at the basket seems like wasted opportunity to me.

BREAK PHILOSOPHY

The philosophy of how you run your break is just as important as your objectives. My basic philosophy is: I want a lay-up.

I already mentioned above about running an advantage break to a jump shot – a waste of effort. I want lay-up, lay-up, lay-up. It is a mind set. Attack, Attack, Attack! The first rule of my break is to get the ball to the best finisher and he thinks, “Lay-up, lay-up, lay-up.” I do not discuss or drill, “force the defense to make a decision,” or “make the defense commit.” I don’t care about that. ...

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 12:36 

Couldn't agree more with Don Kelbick's mindset of layups; I want the easiest shot possible. If a specific transition doesn't work for us (i.e. we'd have to force a shot), the kids should be patient and run the offense. I tell my kids all the time, "I'd rather do something real than something that looks good" and that definitely applies to our transition offense.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 07:56 

While I certainly agree with Don and Jeffs philosophy.... heck, who wouldn't want a layup.... but I think you have to know your personnel....... I had some GREAT 3 point shooters that had the green light the majority of the time..... when it was on yellow was when we were protecting the lead late in the game. At that time, it was all about layups.