All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 10:14 

Hey coaches, I am really want to become an avid basketball player; and improve on my weak areas. The position which I think suits me is the POWER FORWARD...but i need some good advice and drills for this position. I am doing plyometrics every alternate day and i have seen a lot of improvement.I am like 6ft 2in with shoes and I am like going to 15 come May.
Hopefully, I will be able to gain more height..but I want some good drills for a power forward

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 13:41 

Does your high school have a summer program? If they do, I would suggest that you so t their camps and get some coaching. If you can afford it, a personal trainer could help you a lot too.

If I were you, I would work on my overall game..... ball handling, dribbling, passing, shooting both facing the basket and your back to the basket. Talk to your coaches and find out where they want to play you, The type of offense they use has a lot to do with the individual skiils they like.

You are young so I'm sure that you are going to grow, but thats one area I wouldn't worry about since you really don't have any control over that.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 16:37 

Working on your overall game is a great suggestion. Even if you do continue to grow, the more weapons you can bring to to the table, the more valuable you become to your team.

A good example is my son who is 6' at age 13. He was automatically tagged as one of the "big guys", so he acted like one. In his mind, "big guys" don't have to dribble a lot, bring the ball up the court or shoot from too far out. The other "big guys" didn't seem to be able to dribble or shoot 3's, so why should he have to? Besides, the smaller guys kind of frowned on bigger guys trying to dribble or shoot shots other than around the basket. So, he became pretty one dimensional and his defenders figured that out quickly.

I started making him work on his weak hand and do dribbling drills with two balls. In fact, I make all my players work with their weak hand and do dribbling drills with two balls. Now, he's able to score under the hoop with either hand, he can dribble proficiently with both hands, and shoot 3's if we need it.

Here's a playlist of few drills big man drills:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06EF32CBCD06C0D6

Here is 1 of 4 for another set of drills, 2 of 4, etc., shouldn't be hard to find:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lpiqk4gNw

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 17:29 

Great ideas Rob -

Don't forget, the post player of today JUST MIGHT be the POINT GUARD of tomorrow. Learn the skills that everyone needs to know to play the game.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 20:37 

Thank Coaches for your advice, I will work more on my weak areas like maybe dribbling and passing. Yeah!I hope to get some good remarks from my coaches and see what they say because I am tall( 6ft 1in at 15)...and I guess they might just put into the power forward!
Thanks once again.