All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 15:44 

Hi all,

I have the two tallest kids in the league on my team this season. One is really good in the post and the other is a really good passer and shooter with a high basketball IQ. What kind of offense can I run to maximize my advantage? I don't have terrific guards. I'm thinking of putting the good passer at the elbow and the post guy down low and just trying to feed it inside. But any advise would be most welcome even if it's an old-school offense .

Thanks so much in advance.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 07:04 
Site Admin

What age level?

Several years back I had 3 post players on our high school team. 2 of them started. We ran 5 out motion. Some thought I was crazy!!

We won ALL our games except an early close on at the beginning of the season.

When our posts cut into the lanes, they'd temporarily post or sometimes stay for a while (if they had a mismatch). Not many teams had two bigs that could guard both of our posts. So the post with the smaller defender would cut and get a quick post up. Plus our guard scored too because the lane was open often too. My posts were not good off the dribble at all... but if they were ,they could have driven from the perimeter for scoring or playmaking.

There are so many options when running 5 out of any interchangeable offense like that... can go to a temp high low game... teach posts to flash cut, etc. Ball screen to create mismatches and then go to the post.

With all that said, my post guys were not used to having the ball on the perimeter. The first couple games were a little sketchy. It took time and I had to allow them to make mistakes to get comfortable on the perimeter without turning it over. But about 5 games into the season, and allowing them to work through it, I had full confidence in them making decisions and taking care of the ball on the perimeter.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 08:04 

Jeff -- thank you so much for your reply. Love your work and your site -- I've spent hundreds of dollars on it. lol