All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021, 22:43 

Hello. Recently I came across a video of tactical player interactions. In this video, the emphasis is on the fact that after the pass the player is cutting to the strong side, but it does not explain why this is done and in what cases it is used?
Can you help me figure this out? And what type of cutting should you use? (On strong or weak side?). At the moment we are talking about both 5-out and 4-out 1-in offenses.
Thanks!

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2021, 11:27 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what exact offense you're referring to... but I'm guessing here's the reasoning...

When you basket cut and fill to the strong side (sounds similar to a brush cut), this creates a double gap and floor imbalance. This makes it difficult on the defense if the offensive player drives the double gap that is now open . For example, if the cutter fills to the right side, the left side is open for the dribble drive. I know some dribble drive offenses use this type of cut to open up big driving lanes.

Regarding which cut to use, there is no right or wrong. There are hundreds of different ways to run a motion offense that can be very effective.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2021, 23:16 

The biggest mistake I see with motion offenses and cutting is the actual execution of the cut. Is the cutter setting up the cut with a jab fake? Is the cutter SPRINTING ALL THE WAY to the basket? Easy to fall in a lazy habit of not understanding the purpose of cutting and doing it half speed.