All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 08:26 

Hello!

I coach an 8th grade basketball team and I'm in my 6th year of coaching. This year we're running the dribble drive offense and we've employed a lot of Vance Walberg's systems such as his daily 45 breakdown drills in order to get adequate repetition with running the smaller pieces of the offense. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to hold the kids accountalbe for the following:

- Attacking the basket in a direct line - We say "Shoulder Hip" in order to stress this.
- Attacking with big, explosive steps - We say "Big steps" in order to stress this.
- Finishing strong at the basket - We really don't stress this too often, so if you have a good phrase for this, let me now - I've heard "Break his jaw" but that might be a little heavy for some of the younger kids on the team....or maybe not.

We've definitely stressed these concepts several times and review them constantly, but their practice reps aren't consistently executing these techniques. And, when we scrimmage it shows. So here's where I could use some help:

1. Is there a fundamentlal or point of emphasis I'm missing?
2. What are some effective ways to ensure accountability besides just sprints and push-ups? A lot of times I rely too much on these modes of accountability and it slows down practice and sometimes results in a negative tone.

Let me know!!!!

Thanks,

Ryan

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 11:20 

I am not a fan of the Dribble Drive offense, but thats just me... I think to be effective with that, you need some good perimeter shooters and many schools don't have that. How are your kids at shooting the 3 ball, them being in 8th grade?

As for teaching your kids the fundamentals you want, IF you stress them enough, eventually they will catch on... but they have to know that its IMPORTANT TO YOU. Another thing, anything that you allow in practice, they will do in games.
(sometimes at this age they will do it anyway haha )

As for running as a punishment, I think thats a giant waste of practice time... it took me a long time to figure that out... all that does is get rid of our frustrations as coaches.... but it sure doesn't address any problems.

And as for comments like " Break his jaw " - I don't think there is any place in this youth sports for things like that. You can say attack his body and let the ref make the call... but stay away from anything that can be construed as "bullying." JMO

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 13:10 

For dribble drive blow-by moves I tell my girls, "Nose Over Toes!!" when making this move.
That first step must be long enough and you must be low when you make this quick move..so if it is executed correctly the player's nose should be over his toes when making that first explosive step.

Just my take...

Best of Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 13:38 
Site Admin

"Nose over the toes" is one of my favorite cues to use. I like to be careful with the words "long" & "big", because some players can tend to over-stride which leads to a slower and more unbalanced movement.

This article will tell you more about it: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fitness/explosive-first-step.html

Also, here are some drills for first step speed:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fitness/2-drills-first-step.html

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 15:08 

I like that... toes over the nose.... I will pass that on.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011, 16:43 

This is helpful, especially the link on keeping at least a 90 degree angle on your first step. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys.

Coach A, I see that you're from New Britain. I grew up there and played for New Britain High back in the late 90's...it's a small world.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 06:34 

Coach Sar...."toes over the nose" might be a little difficult unless the player is a contortionist!! LOL!!
RBaylock- I now live in Middletown. Grew up in Plainville where I played hoop back in late 70's...I now coach AAU ball for my 15 yo daughter through the Middlesex Rage club.
Take Care....Enjoy the Holidays!!!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 08:42 

Oh yea, my bad LOL I sure goofed that one up didn't I? When I explained it to someone, I did get it right.

I could edit that but I think I will leave it on there just for laughs.

NOSE OVER THE TOES :-)

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 16:06 

Ha! I didn't catch that one. It can't be worse than my thread topic though: "Attack the hool like you mean it."

By the way, I have one more question for you guys: Do you stress head over knees on shots in order to help the kids concentrate on using their legs when they shoot? In our last scrimmage a few of my kids were either short all game or were jacking up shots without being set and I think "Head over knees" might be a good way of getting them to use their legs in their shot. Let me know.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011, 15:25 

I think thats something you have to work on in practice every day... talk to them about using their legs when shooting... easiest time is when they are shooting free throws or form shooting...