All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 May 2011, 20:57 

True, but what I am saying is to find the one that they listen to... the one kid that they all look up to on and off the court.... IF they were picking teams, who would be the first one they would pick? That is probably your best athlete.... maybe your leader too.
Once you sell him on what you want to do, it will be easier to get the others to follow suit.

Here is another big key, IF they know that you can KNOW and UNDERSTAND the game... and can TEACH it... they wil listen.... and IF they see that you CARE about them as people.... that is more than half the battle.
IF they think you don't care about them.... I don't care how good of coach you are, they probably wont listen to you.
Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 22:44 

There is always that adjustment period when taking over a team.

At all levels, players have a certain attachment to the previous coach.

You are the authority figure and have to command respect.

It's something that's earned and takes time.

This is not a hardline approach, but one of incorporating the old with the new.

Good luck and best wishes.

Get Your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: Top Priorities For A New Youth Basketball Coach
http://www.bestyouthhoops.com/blog

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011, 20:42 

Coach: I had a similar situation in Hong Kong but this was with a professional team. The players loved their old coach but he was fired by the owner because they had a couple of sub par seasons. The first few practices were difficult for me because I was introducing MY drills which they had never done before and had to be taught. There was some apathy but i kept introducing my own personal philosophy to them. Winning is a great motivator for any team and we went 36-4 and lost in the league championship however, once they were familiar with my drills, my offense and defense and once we began winning, the old coach was just a fleeting glimmer in their eyes soon to be forgotten. Good luck Coach Mac

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2011, 04:20 

Great points Mac.....

By the way, I forgot to congratulate you on your "dream" job... Enjoy all of this... remember, sports and coaching is like life - a "journey and not a destination."

Coach Mac and I (along with Don Kelbick) are a few of the more "seasoned" coaches here... :-) and we never stopped learning and I would bet that they wouldn't trade this profession for anything - I know I wouldn't.