All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 15:14 

My son has played b-ball since he was 3 mainly on rec YMCA teams. This past year he's been on more competitive try out teams. He's tall for his age, so he ends up playing in post positions. He wants to continue down the competitive path without any pushing from me.

He doesn't seem to have that "I want it more than the next kid" attitude yet, which results in a lack of hustle on loose balls or maybe not fighting hard enough for rebounds.

Two questions:

1) Any thoughts on how to encourage him regarding that attitude?

2) Any tips on helping with with rebounding? He works on the Mikan drill and is pretty consistent at boxing out. Just doesn't seem to get in there and go for it, securing the rebound.

TIA

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 09:16 

Just because he is tall like Shaq doesn't necessarily mean that he is going to play like him in the post. He might be the guard of tomorrow... so they should be teaching him all the skills of the game right now.

Maybe playing some one on one or two on two might make him more agressive since there wont be anyone else to depend upon.

IF you can explain to him that rebounding is such an important part of the game that might encourage him enough to try harder? You could try this.... have him toss the ball off the glass, go up and get it, chin the ball, pivot and find you for an outlet pass. Do this for a few minutes every day.... you don't want to make this a job, it has to be fun too.

Ask him what he wants from the game? Does he want to play at the high school level or just for fun? Have him come in here and ask the coaches some questions, he will get some good advice, there are some great coaches in the group.

As for loose balls.... I've seen a lot of high school kids that wont get on the floor after the ball..... so be patient with him.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 12:32 

Coach Sar -

Good points on making sure he's working on other skills, hard to tell at this point where he'll land on the height chart. He definitely works on his dribbling and shooting from the outside, however, based on his current height, coaches play him as a low post.

He says he wants to play high school ball, not sure he clearly understands the comittment and effort it will take yet. However, after playing in a recent 6th grade competitive league and playing up on a 7th/8th grade Y team, he seems more motivated. He's been doing exercises every day to increase his vertical jump.

I work with him on the rebounding drill you mentioned, but he can only handle so much of that before it gets old. Beating the old man at a game of H-O-R-S-E is more appealing, so I use that as the carrot.

He's playing in a 3 on 3 competitive league soon, hoping that will give him ample opportunities to work on his blocking out and rebounding. Also have him lined up for a few private lessons with a coach who runs the competitive league.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 16:32 

Rob,

Sounds like a good plan... as long as he is having FUN doing this and it is something he REALLY wants to do. IF he really wants to play High School ball, he is going to have to put a lot of work into his game... because when he ( or someone ) is sitting around watching TV or playing X Box.... someone else is going to be working on their game.

Remind him that its NOT where he is at right now, but the direction he is heading in. Yea, and playing HORSE beating you is fun. By the time I became the head coach at 45, the best part of my game was gone.... except for shooting free throws... and I could beat most of them... of course I wasn't running up and down the floor

I especially like the 3 on 3 part of this workout.... Do you know the varsity high school coach or any of their players? IF so, introduce him to them and maybe he can talk to them and pick their brains. I had several of my players younger brothers hang around our practices and games.... and then become a player for me... amazing that they could still put up with me LOL