All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 23:02 

hello I coach 8th grade girls traveling basketball. My team is and average to above average team. We are having a problem as of late making simple layups and my kids are also having a problem holding onto the ball when a pass is thrown their way. I have tried numerous drills and it seems like its all in their head. In practice they are great. When it comes to crunchtime it's like they get rattled or scared. For example the other night we had a 7 point lead at halftime with 7 turnovers. We ended up losing by 9 and had 14 turnovers in the 2nd half. Do you have some tips for me.

Thanks,
corey

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 05:40 

Corey,

I was a boys coach for all of my life except for my last year - then I took the girls sophomore team, figured I would just out coach everybody... WRONG. My girls couldn't catch a cold...... so I changed my pre written practice plans... and we started EVERY practice with dribbling drills and passing drills... at first the passing drills took around 20 minutes - they finally got better and it was down to about 6 minutes ... I added full court passing and shooting drills as we progressed.

I toughened them up by adding a 6th defender when we ran our offense and I had one simple rule as far as turnovers went... don't throw the ball away, take a 5 second violation first, we can play D when they take it out of bounds.... cant defend break a way lay ups. Make every drill tougher than game situations, that way they wont choke in games.

Remember, these are 8th grade girls and probably not as strong as you would like them to be - hang on there and keep coaching - don't forget to let them have some fun.,,, while you prepare them to play at the next level.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 08:05 

is there any specific drill you can do in pregame warmups to help

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 21:19 

Here is one we did in practice... it was called the "Man Maker Drill"

3 offensive players on the end line
3 defensive players on the free throw line extended - the person in the middle has a ball and passes it to one of the offensive players to start the drill.

The court is divided into thirds.... each player must stay in their own lane... the offense must advance the ball past half court by passing - NO dribbling allowed... this forces the offensive players to be strong with the ball, learn how to get themselves open and to meet passes.

This is a drill we ran before games - players standing in each corner... 2 balls in opposite corners - start by passing the ball to the person in the corner closest to you.... to the right... run towards the other corner directly across from you looking for a return pass looking towards your right..... catch the ball and pass it to the person you are running towards..... ( I hope I explained that well enough to you )

I think the man maker drill used every day for 5-6 minutes will do more for you that pre game drills. We emphasized NO turnovers and since there is no time limit to get the ball over half court that should help.