All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 22:38 

Guys i need a little advice please, and maybe im worrying and stressing to much but not sure. My son is 10 yrs old and at this stage of his development is ahead of his peers in our county league. i have really stressed fundamentals and having fun learning to play and develop new skills as his body and strenght allows him , which has worked out well up to this point. he has played up a age group every yr so far while also playing with his own age group, my concern is this yr they have asked him also to play up, but im concerned with the coach they have chosen. The guy is a good guy , i have nothing personal against him, but i have seen past teams he has had and its like recess . the practices are un organized with kids playing like u would see at recess and the guy is a dad and has no real basketball experience other than a couple volunteer teams in rec league.past teams i have witnessed under him i didnt really see any teaching or practice of fundamentals etc im not here to bad mouth the guy cause i appreciate his time and allowing the kids to at least play. my son has worked hard learning fundamentals and i and his past coaches have worked hard trying to teach him good fundamentals and skills, my concern is i dont want this type coaching and playing create bad habits or make hime regress in how to play but i also dont want to be a jerk and not let him play for his elementary school when they asked. i know he can and will play for his age group but need advice on him playin up this yr with this paticular coach. is my concern warrented . I just want to make the best decision as a parent for my sons development.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 06:23 

Tough call! Have you ever watched your son play outside, in the Parks or just some easy pick up game? Does he just go out and have fun and do some crazy things? Not so fundamentally sound? Thats how kids experiment with their game, what can I do? What can I do better? Did you ever play HORSE and shoot some goofy shot to get the guy out?

I understand your concerns but if it were me, I would sit down with my son and ask him what he wants to do. Your main goal right now should be for him to have FUN.... while learning the game. He is going to have good and bad coaches all through his playing career... or should I say good coaches and some that are a lot better.

Could you volunteer to help this coach out? Maybe make his life a little easier without making it look like you want to take over. As I read this again, its for his elementary school right? He is going to have to play with these kids the rest of his playing career - or at least some of them. IF this was ME, I would let him play IF HE wants to... and then I would spend some extra time helping him developing his fundamentals...

Let us know what you decide and how it goes for him. Good luck.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 13:45 

Nothing upsets me more than a coach who is unorganized and inexperienced at coaching youth basketball. Especially the part where you say he has very little control over the kids during practices(running around like it's recess).
I like Coach Sar's advice of you volunteering as an assistant coach. At least you can be there every practice and try to control the kids and advise the coach on skills and drills to work on.
Otherwise...I would make your son play down to his current level if the coaching at that level is superior. It's so important at his age, 10 yr old, to work on fundamentals during every practice and to have fun doing it. If his current age group coach is focused on skill development, running an organized practice and making it fun.......then I would go with him!!

Best of Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 17:13 

Thanks coaches for the advice! Today I had a phone call telling by the actual head coach whom I was unaware of telling me his plans and that my concern for the other guy I had been told was coaching was actually just going to help ! Coach Kyle asked me also that he would like for me to volunteer and help him! He layed out a plan for his practices and said he wanted to be organized and routine enough with certain drills and practice games that by the 4th practice the kids actually would know what to do ! Said he didn't want it do routine it was boring but make these drills fun and exciting that they look forward to doing them, even if it was drills diving after loose balls! Lol ! He also wants the kids to be rewarded for there work and accomplishments as a team and as individuals! He said whether it be ice cream, a milk shake or he thought about having medallions made up for hustle plays , rebounds, free throws etc! I would like your oppinions on that! He wants to get our roster snd make them a little program book with team picture and individual pictures to make them feel good and enjoy the season! His words was do for them so we can get them to work hard at fundamentals ! I really like what I heard I'd like ur opinions

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 19:35 

In our program we had a "Player of the Week" - could be more than one... we did that because the AD didn't want us giving twio MVPs at the end of the season. We always made sure that we spread the wealth.... These were certificats that we put in this show case outside the cafeteria... that way the entire school could see them.

It sounds like he has a better plan this year.... and you're right... don't make the drills the same every practice (except for some defensive ones like the SHELL drill.) I like the idea of a Program book..... sounds like this is going to be a good year... and all this time you were worrying LOL

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 05:35 

I also like the program book idea. I did that when I coached my girls in grades 3 thru 6. I made up "Playbooks" using 3 ring binders. I'd spice up the front cover with basketball graphics, our team name and names of everybody on the roster.
Inside would be cool basketball pictures, basketball poems, inspirational basketball stories, John Wooden quotes, basketball crossword puzzle, our game schedule, practice schedule, official roster, contact numbers, basketball funny cartoons, all our plays, play diagrams, schedules for local college and high school games...etc.

The kids loved it!! Treated it like it was their bible!!!

Best of Luck,

Coach A