All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 20:41 

The more I research where kids should focus when shooting the more answers I find. So where generally should they focus -

Here is what I found on the web-
Just over the front of the rim
Front of rim
Back of rim
In the center of the nest(net) inside the rim
No focal point(Just added from this site)

Thanks

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 07:57 

Tough question because what works for one person might not work for someone else. For me, my foucs was just over the front of the rim.... thats what I taught in our summer and shooting camps. As the kids got older I would tell them to adjust their focus if they were having problems with their shot.

I think I remember someone saying that you can drop two balls inside the rim at the same time... so a big key is to have the proper arc on your shot ... makes for a softer shot JMO and you will get those shooters bounces.

We taught George Lehmans way of shooting... BEEF
B - balance
E - eye on the target
E - elbow under the ball
F - follow through ( we told them to put their hand in the cookie jar and hold it )

What type of problems are you experiencing?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 08:08 

No problems - when we work on our shooting I always stress proper form. But when shots do not drop I ask the kids what the target is and some say the back of the rim, some say the front, others say I don't know, etc. If I have kids shooting long but with good form, I tell them to try looking at the front of the rim, etc. I know what works for some may not work for others. But I would like to have a general place for them to be looking at - As you mentioned I have heard just over the top of the front of the rim, but that is hard for kids to grasp since there is nothing there.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 08:20 

I agree. I was laughing when I typed that...... I might suggest that you check out their form a little closer.... as they are releasing the ball their elbow should be at eye level or just above.... that should take care of flat shooting and help them to control their shooting.

We did what we called BEEF check before shooting... which was going from block > middle > block .. we did this 3 times... first time with just the shooting hand, second time with the guide hand along side the ball WITHOUT touching it... and the third time with the guide hand on the ball.
After doing this we started moving back 4-5 feet at a time allowing the use of the guide hand

Without being able to see the shots its tough to make suggestions but possibly they could adjust the arc on the shot.... how old are these kids?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 14:53 

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm not explaining myself well or making more out of this than needs to be. I just want to tell the kids where to look when shooting - after reading coaching books and articles on the Internet I have read many different opinions on where the kids should look when shooting. It is like saying when you you are bowling look at all the pins - no you are looking at a specific spot to get the ball to. Same with baseball, when you pitch, you are looking at a target - the catchers glove.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 17:25 

I understand - IF it was ME, I would teach them to look just over the rim as the point of focus. This is just me. How old are these kids?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 20:09 

I think that when you have shooters examine where they aim or where their focus is the are a case of analysis paralysis waiting to happen.

Many pitchers do not aim or even look at the catcher's mitt, except to determine expected location. They set up, wind up and throw. Their major concern is rhythm and a consistent release point. Good bowlers never look at the pins, they find an area to release the ball and again, rhythm and release.

The more specific you get with an aiming point, the harder is is to hit that point. It is like trying to go to sleep and laying in bed saying "I gotta sleep, I gotta sleep>" The result of that is you never sleep. But if you just relax, you doze off in no time. The same is true with shooting. Feel your shot, check your result and adjust your release.

The most important thing in shooting is to do the same thing every time. That takes a lot of repetition.