All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 07:49 

I was thinking of that as an EXTRA work out... more like a controlled scrimmage so both teams can get something out of it.

My second year at the high school level I got the best job in the district... head sophomore boys coach... no scouting if I didnt want to and always with the varsity and on the bench. Learned a lot.... I had a pretty good team and the Varsity coach wanted to scrimmage us.... he asked me during the srimmage if we always played that way.. I asked him what he meant... he said, so physical.... the answer was yes.... but we played a little tougher against them becuase they were a very good team... won 21 games, they would have killed us otherwise... we held our own.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 07:57 

I get what you mean. I might arrange it one day indeed.

That's a nice example! Have you seen it back in other games after the scrimmage?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 07:25 

What I see is my players knowing how to handle the situation without showing any panic..... kind of like, been there, done that, AND corrected it too. :-)

We ran our press offense EVERY day for at least 10 minutes.... we never panicked, we just went about methodically attacking it or just beating it to get into our offense.

http://www.212movie.com/ Check this out -

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 01:16 

Oke! That's great stuff!

Last night I talked to the kid we talked about earlier. He agreed with me that he can be a more valueable player for the team than he is right now. I told him I'd like him to be more of a leader on court. Positively (he used to comment on a negative way to his teammates) coach his teammates on court. He also gets frustrated to much during the game. He had no idea that because the other players look up to him that much, that it effects the whole team when he gets frustrated. I told him to focus on defense and on minimize turnovers. I think he understood what I was telling him. Tomorrow is our next game, I will keep you posted on how he responds to the conversation during the game.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 07:11 

Good luck, I hope it works out for both of you.

Maybe you can talk to him about Sports in general .... things don't always go the way we want them to.... in sports and definately in life. Its all about how we handle things. He needs to understand that they will follow his lead, IF he gets frustrated and down, so will his teammates. When things get tough, IF he steps up his game and is positive, they will follow that too. Thats what leaders do.

Anyone can lead or play when things are going well, its what you do when things are going south that counts. I used to coach football too.... one year the freshman team had the other team down at their 5 yard line, they ran a play - 95 yards and a touchdown. The following year I became the head Sophomore coach... same team, same situation, same results..... I just shook my head and said... OK, NOW WE ARE GOING TO SEE WHAT WE ARE MADE OF! They responded well and we won the game easily.

He needs to relax and have some FUN..... its a game.... not life or death. PLAY HARD, PLAY SMART, and HAVE FUN. IF he is not having fun, he needs to try something else. He needs to have confidence in himself and the team.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 07:22 

Here is something to show that boy -

"Like life, basketball is messy and unpredictable. It has its way with you, no matter how hard you try to control it. The trick is to experience each moment with a clear mind and open heart. When you do that, the game--and life--will take care of itself."

Phil Jackson

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 04:54 

We are now 2 weeks later. I had a good word with the kid and he understands his role. For the first time this season we played against a more difficult team. We are very effective in playing against m2m. The first quarter the opponent played m2m and we won that one 22-10. But the other three quarters they played a zonedefense, luckily our fast break worked pretty well. But when they set the zone, we had a lot of difficulty to score. Until the kid we discussed earlier stood up. With 20 points he lead the team to a win of 8 points. Because of his drive he played out the zone. He found the gap in the zone himself and kept on scoring. I gave him a very important role in our 1-3-1 trapping zone, where he is the one 1 in the bucket who needs to coach everyone when they don't rotate the right way. And he did that very good too. The trapping zone in the 3e quarter gave us a run of 11 points to win the game.

I think I can say I'm on the good path in making him a better player. I think if we had played this game a couple of weeks ago, he would yell at his players in the team instead of coaching them.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 07:20 

Remember this.... Life - like Basketball is a JOURNEY and not a DESITNATION. Every day is a learning situation, and hes a young kid, be patient, show him the way - be his role model.

I tried to explain this to a little guy I know, he gets very frustrated when things don't go well for him in certain things he does... I told him to watch college players and Pros, you don't see them getting angry, that is counter productive... it takes away from your game and you lose focus.... not sure I got thru to him but hes 11. I will keep reminding him of this.

Good luck and keep up the good work him and your team. By the way, it wont be long before the word gets around that it will be hard to play YOUR team m2m.... spend a little more time with your zone offense.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 07:25 

Thanks. I am working on our zone offense. After talking to a few other coaches and looking at the forum here I got a pretty good picture of how te play the zone offense. But thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 09:42 

Let us know how it goes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next