All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 12:21 

My daughter ( 13 yrs.old) is point guard on her school team and plays comp club ball and is trying out for an Ontario Basketball camp, not everyone gets in. She's trying to refine her point guard skills. She'll be taking a guard camp soon but later. I didn't play basketball myself so that one is tricky for me to help her with. Any recommendations or you tube videos that teach a good crossover?

Thanks

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 19:11 

Go to you tube to check these two out... one is very basic, the other by Tim Hardaway.... a killer move.

YouTube - Basic Basketball Moves & Drills : Basketball Moves: Crossover Dribble

YouTube - Mr Crossover - Tim Hardaway Mix

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 10:20 

lol - killer move is right! I wrote in a while back ago, you all some great stuff to say - my daughter is having a much better season on school team. Her coach told me a couple of University coaches popped by and liked what they saw in her.
They'll be playing their semi-finals soon.
Maybe you all could educate me ( as much as is possible without being in person) I and my daughter know what a crossover is but I guess once they get the basic crossover , someone can teach them to mix it up? My daughter is very fast and it only takes one bounce from left to right or vice versa and she's gone. No bragging intended but a couple of girls have fallen over when she does this. Some coaches seem to want kids to do 2 bounces then switch then go- is this double bounce important or optional or what, I'd imagine it comes in handy when your against a really good defender.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 11:04 

Watch those two videos... the first one is basic.... shows the fundamental move... then there is "Hardaway' - sit down with your daughter and watch it..... she can pick up some tips just from there.

Think about the crossover this way.... your daughter might be dribbling up the court... she sure isn't going to be counting dribbles.... set your defender up - get them to lean one way and make the move.... the whole key is to get the defender going one way and then crossoving over and go the other way.... its all about quickness.

IF she is leaving some defenders on the floor with her move, she must be doing something right. Have her play vs someone a little older and quicker and see how she does... you know... like 1 on 1 in the park or drive way. Any boys in the area that she can play against?

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 12:32 

Thanks coach - will do
It's a little difficult to explain but when she had her tryout for the OBA camp and the kids were asked to do 7 crossovers coming up the floor, it just looked like she was switching hands coming up the floor while some kids seemed to have more of a bounce bounce then switch and go. She does her crossovers just fine in a live game situation but it just looked a little off as a demonstration. Does that make sense?
There is a boy in one of her competitve camps who is an extremly good player, we'll see what happens during practice. He likes her defense and they seem to like defending each other.
Thanks for your time coach

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 12:48 

Ok, now I understand a little better...... its a drill that they are looking at... so she has to simulate a player guarding her... a few dribbles and then the crossover... (seems like she is past this but she has to please the coaches.)

Its good that there is a boy she can work out with... they will make each other better IF they push each other. If they can become good friends and still push each other that would be great. I had kids like that on my varsity.... it gets pretty intense.... the older they the more intense it can get... boys hate to get beat by girls LOL

Let me know what you think of the videos.... and how your daughter is picking it up.... and let me know when she gets as good as Hardaway :-)

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 18:22 

Thanks again coach!
It's great to watch kids in a competitive camp like that play. I have to control myself from yellling too loud!
Never say never right?

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 19:04 

You're welcome... glad I could help.

How true! Nothing wrong with cheering.... just keep it positive of course.

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 06:01 

you betcha!

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 06:40 

I only say that becuase the coaches rag enough! LOL