All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 10:14 

I am looking for team building exercises to show the kids that one person doesn't make the team. It takes teamwork.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 11:43 

This is something that we did in our summer camps.....

Play a game to SIX..... Everyone has to score before any player can make the last shot - or you can pick out a player of your choosing.

Play NO DRIBBLE GAMES and use the same rules as above... watch how hard they work to get another kid a shot... even the lesser players.

I did this with a Varsity kid on each team mixed in with various ages.... but in your case a LEADER is going to rise above the rest to make sure things are organized as they play... maybe more than one at the same time... kids love to compete.... this is a tough game playing this way... with or without the dribble... but you will be surprised how hard they will work together.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 20:30 

I heard Coach Robb Akey, University of Idaho football, speak this weekend on building teams and a winning attitude. He divided his kids into groups, letting "captains" select teams. In his example, for basketball, all the guards would be picked first, then the forwards, then the posts. Then he did skill work, like ropes, or other drills. Each team would compete against other teams, and each player would go head to head against a player on the other team. The team with the most wins in an event gets a point, and those two teams compete all day. You either win or lose for the day, and overall standings are kept for a period of two weeks. Winners overall get something special