All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 22:42 

I have a 8th grade point guard that has an enormous talent base. The problem is she has never played organized basketball before. We are 5 games into our season and she is still very timid with her shooting. When she does shot it's a floating rainbow shot. I have worked with her repeatedly on her shot selection and form. Her form is correct but she does not want to take the quality shots given to her. Any suggestions??

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 22:53 

coach: she is a point guard and as such isn't expected to shoot that much. How does she run your offense? how does she pass the ball, is she a leader. You need to give her time to gain experience playing pick up is much different than playing organized basketball. My advice is allow her to do the things she does well, that way her confidence will rise to a point where that shot becomes easier. She sounds like a young lady that has to find her comfort zone, and if what you say is true "she has a great talent base" that talent will shine through eventually. good luck hope this helps Coach Mac

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 07:37 

Totally agree with Coach Mac!

Just by you allowing her (and trusting her) to run your point with no organized basketball experience in the 8th grade tells me she certainly has an enormous talent base. Let her develop her skills as she gains valuable playing experience and, as her coach, keep reinforcing not only her shooting skills but passing and dribbling skills too. As confidence builds, she will turn out to be a very productive floor leader with a nice jumper.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 08:13 

Great advice from Coach Mac and A!

She is a rookie, let her grow into the position. Thats an enormous responsibilty (in her eyes) to be quarterbacking the team in her first year.... there has to be a lot of things going thru her mind.. especially with girls who think a lot more about "is she being accepted by the other girls, do they like her, are they mad because of all of a sudden this newbie steps in and gets the prime position."
etc.

Give her time and if she is everything that you say she is, she will do just fine..... remember, the cream rises to the top.

Ken