All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 11:27 

I just read your post about discipline of a team, and it was inspiring. I have been thinking about whether to discipline my team of u10 players as a unit (for individuals breaking rules). The reasons are because some players seem to be distracted when I discipline a single player, and also because I was thinking that some positive peer pressure might help. I couldn't discern from your post what you have in mind, but do you recommend individual discipline (one guy take a lap) or corporate discipline (everybody does wind sprints)?
Cordially,
Ned W

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2019, 16:16 

Do you have a link or title to that post?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2019, 18:07 

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/discipline.html

Thanks!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2019, 12:58 

Thought it might be that article, good one for sure.

ned2 wrote:
I have been thinking about whether to discipline my team of u10 players as a unit (for individuals breaking rules). The reasons are because some players seem to be distracted when I discipline a single player, and also because I was thinking that some positive peer pressure might help.

Depends on the situation. First off, I tried to check myself when dealing with younger players to make sure my practices weren't boring. Were kids standing around a lot or waiting in lines too long? In other words, was I creating an environment that lent itself to kids losing interest? Having a good mix of challenging drills along with fun drills/games and keeping the practice moving helped me eliminate some of those distractions.

I'm more in the camp of consequences/discipline based on the situation at hand. If you're dealing with more of a team situation then the whole team deals with the consequences. Like the article mentioned, if the rule is, "when I blow the whistle, everyone sprints over" and you have stragglers, I make the team pay as a whole. If one player has an attitude and slams a ball down, that player has consequences, not the whole team. If you have an assistant, they can help administer the consequences while you keep going with the practice.

To make this work, you need a list of a few items (not too many) of your non-negotiables. Like the article mentioned, no one talks when the coach is talking, no lying, etc., I pick a few that usually revolve around character and back them up with consistent consequences.

Hope that helps! Maybe you could give an example of something the players are doing that you feel the need for some consequences?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 11:52 

That is excellent. And probably all the info I need. I can always use a reminder about keeping practices interesting.
The only example I had in mind was a player messing with a teammate while getting some instruction . . . I kind of was thinking I want to discourage players from letting themselves be distracted or going along with the distracting players (often tend to be a confident, "cool" player or influencer).

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2019, 16:03 

I get it. Sounds like an "all eyes on me and no talking when I'm talking" kind of a deal. Still have that chance of Tommy messing around with his teammate though. Those are great opportunities to ask a question, "what did I just say, Tommy?" with players who aren't paying attention.

It's a challenge to keep the player's attention at the younger levels when you're talking. I used the, "I don't talk much, so when I do, pay attention". I tried to keep the group chats to a minimum is possible during practice.

Good on you for coaching this bunch! Definitely can be a challenge.