All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 15:36 

Quick ?
We have only 4 girls in our 8th grade program. We have 11 in our 7th grade, two that play AAU. We are thinking of moving 3 girls up to fill out the 8th grade team. We would all practice together once a week and each separately once a week.
In the past we've avoided moving kids up at all costs, but we are struggling to fill the 8th grade team. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 17:25 
Site Admin

I don't see a problem with that. I think that as long as you communicate with parents/players what to expect up front, it should be fine. Now if they already signed up with different expectations, it could be more challenging. But as long you tell people what to expect and they know what they are getting into, they shouldn't have anything to complain about. And from a development standpoint it makes sense... otherwise those 8th graders have no team?

If you are looking to be very fair and it's an equal playing time type of recreational program... you could just have three 7th graders rotate and take turns playing with the 8th graders -- so everyone gets a turn to "play up". That is "fair" but not the best solution from a development standpoint in my opinion.

Or have the 3 players moved up play twice... play in both games. Not sure how often they play or if that's any issue?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 11:12 

This is about the age that kids start playing up a level anyway. Curious why you've avoided moving girls up?