All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2009, 13:46 

I coach varsity basketball and some of the players have horrible shooting form. How would you suggest I break these habits? Or is it too late? We do form shooting everyday but they still continue to exhibit horrible form and therefore translating into a low shooting percentage. How do you break bad habits in general? Can you suggest a book to read for more information.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 06:07 
Site Admin

If you want a book, this one will tell you exactly what you need to know:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/btshooting.html

A good portion of the book covers what it takes to break shooting habits and develop new muscle memory as quick as possible and avoid the discouragement that comes along with changing a shot (which a big part is to shoot away from the basket - at the wall, line on the floor, partner, etc).

If you have any questions, let us know. There are reviews about the book at the bottom of the link above. It's the highest rated product on this site so I think you'll like it.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2009, 08:00 

We did BEEF check everyday... and IF you have a kid who has bad form..... tell him to do it against a wall... that way they wont worry about making a shot.... do it with ONE hand...good balance, one dribble, bring the ball up with your elbow under the ball.... get the legs into the shot, lift and shoot the ball, HOLDING the follow through.

I did that for a few kids and it worked fine.

As always, Jeff has given you some good advice... this is all about muscle memory...... practice doesn't make perfect.... PERFECT practice makes PERFECT.

Ken