All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 05:35 

Hi coaches,

I was just wondering what are some of the different ways I could teach creating a lead, and some thoughts on footwork upon catching the basketball?

Thanks very much for your help!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 06:20 
Site Admin

Most coaches teach players to square to basket when catching the ball. More specifically, which I agree with, you want players getting their feet in shooting position (whether they use squared, staggered, etc stance) immediately when catching. To get feet right players can use a hop or a 1-2 step (front pivot). In some cases they might use a reverse or inside pivot to get feet in shooting position (this creates space).

Now some coaches will say you don't actually play that way. You don't catch and face the basket every time you catch. If you watch high level players they know what they will do with the ball before catching. They know if they will be open enough to shoot so in that case they're getting feet ready to shoot. They often know if they will attack a close out right before they catch. In other cases they know they will reverse the ball immediately to weakside of floor where there's a wide open shooter or few defenders. They may even catch and immediately drive to middle (never facing the basket) because they know they want ball reversal action via dribble because they play calls for it or because that's the motion action they think is appropriate.

I personally have players practice all types of footwork so they are comfortable -- and then teach good decision making on the catch. I let them figure out the specific footwork they want to use and try not to get too detailed unless it's necessary.

Regarding "different ways I could teach creating a lead", I'm not sure what that means. Let us know and we'll try to help.