All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 18:53 

We are incorporating the dribble hand off into our offense. If a player receives the hand off and does not dribble, is she able to come to a jumpstop and establish a pivot foot? What would/would not be considered a traveling violation?

Thanks

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 12:47 

I believe the same rules would apply to a handoff as they would to receiving a pass. If the player receiving the handoff does a jump stop, the first foot they lift makes the remaining foot on the floor the pivot. If that player goes to dribble the ball, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. Same with a pass or shot. Does that help?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 13:54 

That does help. I have players that I want to take and shoot the hand off when her defender goes under. I also have a player that I do not want dribbling the hand off because it puts her in an uncomfortable situation. I want my best attacking perimeter players to turn the corner and either jumpstop and shoot at the free throw line area, kick it out or get to the rim depending on the help defense. The player handing the ball off always pops/shapes up for a pass back.

Does this strategy make sense?

Thanks

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 16:59 

On the travelling call, I think you'll be okay if you view it like a pass. Player A hands off to player B. Once player B gains possession, the foot on the court would be the pivot foot (is she was running by player A to receive the handoff). If player B has both feet on the court when they lift a foot, the other foot would be the pivot foot. I'm thinking it would be kind of difficult to take a hand off and do a jump stop, seems like it might be kind of awkward as player B would have to jump in the air, take the hand off and land on both feet. They could be stationary and receive a hand off with both feet on the court, but I'm assuming you want the person receiving the handoff moving based on your strategies.

I bet if you run over your strategies in practice, you'll get a chance to see if the shooters are lifting the pivot and putting it back down or taking an extra step after the handoff.

One other twist you can add is a pick and roll off after a handoff.