All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 10:12 

I am going to have a summer shooting program/reward system this summer for our basketball program. I was going to see if ya'll recommend any particular shooting program or reward system?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2015, 16:46 

I know at Bishop O'Connell in Virginia, Joe Wootten keeps a running total on a whiteboard for all of his players. They come in and mark the number of shots they have taken over the summer. It becomes competitive, as every player is trying to climb to the top of the board. When I saw it, players were climbing in excess of 20,000 shots in late July.

He had a routine of 500 shots in an hour session, where he mocked the idea that kids did not have enough time. It progressed from lay-ups (left and right side), drop steps, one dribble pull-ups, spin outs at mid range, spin outs at 3 point, one dribble three points, etc. Every shot series was about 50 shots and you shot 5 free throws at each interval to rest.

I am going off of this by memory, but if you design a program based on where shots come out of your offense, the type of shots that come out of your offense, and really stress to kids HOW they should WORK while working out, then you will have a good workout session.

Just some thoughts,

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 04 May 2015, 07:17 

Brian,

Thank you for your response.