All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 00:00 

I have an unsual situation that has developed with my middle school team. We(myself and another coach) have a kid(14 years old) who is really talented both offensively and defensively but we have a very difficult time getting him to use his God given offensivel skills to help his team win and be more productive. I will provide a little more background, first of all his Dad has stressed the team concept of basketball since the kid was 6 years old. Over the past 8 years the kid has continually improved his game in all areas(due to advanced skills courses). His gift to the game is his ability to score the basketball, particularly driving to the basket but he is relucant to use his gift in games for fear of not being a team player and potentially shooting too much(not the cases as he has good shot selection). We have explained to him that this is his gift and if he can score the ball 5 straight times down the floor(which he has done on several ocassions) he should do so because this will help is team and his role on this team is to score. I think the kid is not comfortable with his personal success and I need some guidance on what should be communicated to him to get him past stage. He has a great attitude but does not want the spotlight on him. Any guidance you can provide would be very helpful and let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks!!!
Coach Reed

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 07:15 
Site Admin

Wow, that's a good problem to have. I would think the gifted player should "take over" when his team needs him. If the team is struggling, encourage the player to take over for several possessions until the game is in control. Then go back to distributing the ball. If the player is that talented, he should be able to do that.

Really, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. He's young and he'll figure things out. This kid is going to be great someday and he's only making his teammates better by sharing the ball. His Dad might be telling him to pass the ball at home and no matter what you do he will listen to his Dad. For the rest of the team, that is what they need. That can't have their star bail them out too often or it will limit their development. In the long run, the whole team will be much better because of that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if this player is that good, he probably won't improve that much by taking over games. It's just not a challenge for him yet. Plus it sounds like he is doing lots of development out side of games, which is where players truly become great. Yet, the other players on the team will get better by getting more game experience because the star is keeping them involved.

Other than talking with the player and being honest with him, I don't know what you can do.

Like you said, this is an unusual situation. Maybe other coaches have some insights. I'm just reluctant to suggest changing this kid to win a few games now and sacrifice team development and success when the get to high school varsity. Sometimes playing without your star is the best thing that can happen to a team down the road.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 09:54 

Coach,

Thanks for the feedback...it is much appreciated!!!

Coach Reed

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 10:17 

I agree with Jeff here. Be patient with this boy and he will come around.

What a problem to have! A klid that is too team oriented.... and has all the skills. We had a saying, when you have a cannon you fire the cannon NOT a pea shooter.

We used to tell our kids to let the game come to you unless we ran a set specifically for YOU. So, IF the defense gives you something, take it. Don't be bashful.. thats not being a hog, its being smart.

You might try designing some sets where he is NOT the first option.. that way you can develop other kids and still give him his opportunity to score.

Ken

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 14:09 

Thanks Ken!!!