All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 12:40 

i'm coaching 2 girl Teams for the first time
always coached u-14 to u-17 boys in the past...

I have some shooting drills test that I do every practice but i don't know know the ''standards''

For example:
I do a 1 minute board shot shooting drill

How many basket a good 15 years old female player should get in 1 minute?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 13:06 

A lot of this depends upon the abilities of the girls. Watch them do some practice work with drills.... then you can always increase or decrease the numbers. After you have done them for awhile you can move the numbers up, makiing it more challenging.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 13:58 
Site Admin

I agree. Just depends on the skill and experience of the players. I don't think it's a gender thing. There are plenty of girls teams that can out shoot boys teams.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 18:38 

Coach,

I would make the standard a moving goal line.

Run the drill once, for practice. Then run it once and keep track of the results.

Run the drill again at a subsequent practice; set the goal above the previous mark. Every time you run the drill, raise the bar higher. The amount you raise it will depend on yours and their perception of their skill increase.
Sometimes the best thing you can do is let them set the goal. Ask "How many do you think you can make in a minute?"

I had a full court shooting drill called North Carolina. It was run for 5 minutes. There were 3 shots taken by each group on each end of the court. With my latest team, we ran it twice every other practice. At the start they made 55 shots in the 5 minutes. I allowed them to set the goal. We would put conditioning at stake for not making the goal.

They kept raising the goal every time we ran the drill. By the end of the season they were making 100 shots in the 5 minute period. It was impressive and it bred confidence in their shooting ability.

Just my thoughts.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 08:14 

thank you !