All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 14:09 

Any drills to help a shooter who has the guide hand too involved in the shot? When she shoots close to hoop, one handed her form is great. Add the guide hand and wow.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 16:26 

You might try this -

1A- shoot one handed along side a wall

2A- - shoot one handed along side a wall with the guide hand along side the ball but NOT touching it

3- Now add the guide hand\

Now go to the basket .... starting from block / middle / block
1A - 2A & 3

Then repeat the top three steps. Continue this until the form is the way you want it.

As the shot improves she can step back a few feet and repeat those steps.... keep repeating the process and you step back further.

I remember some years ago that someone had a plain flat board - about the size of your hand with a strap on it to keep it from falling. They used that on the guide hand to keep the shooter from using the guide hand while shooting. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 14:04 

Good suggestions by Coach Sar. Found a site I'd bookmarked about this subject a while back. Had a player with the same issue as your player.

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com/2010/04/proper-use-of-guide-hand-in-shooting.html

On a side note, this is one of the reasons I'm more on the side of teaching the proper shooting form at a younger age rather than waiting until 5th/6th grade. I know of at least 3-4 freshman players that still shoot with two hands (or use their assist hand too much), which will become an issue during their hs years. Hard habit to break as a player gets older.