All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2013, 18:03 

Ken: good to hear from you again my old friend. I have finally retired from coaching, I gave it almost 40 years and felt it time to rest. I am back in Mainland China and began working with some younger high school coaches and their teams. I guess I just cant let it go. I watched a couple of practices prior to approaching with an offer of help. Although some of thiese boys are very good, their passsing skills or lack of them was very evident. Here, they concentrate on conditioning so I showed them a way to condition with a ball while actually learning a fundamental. Hope this helps...Mac

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 06:28 

Hey Mac -

It took me a long time to figure out that conditioning without a ball is a giant waste of time..... even when you get ticked and want to run them, you can run a drill with a ball and actually get something out of it.

Maybe you should hold a coaching clinic and teach the coaches... would they go for that or would they get turned off?

You can lead a horse to water .....................

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 06:40 

Passing is in 3 sections, decision, perception and action.

the decision, (to who do i pass)
the perception (is the pass there or not)
are more important than the action with young players....

http://joebloggsmadrid.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 02:43 

Coach Sar: Perhaps its time to go back to old school, that statement was made by Bob Knight at a clinic I attended back in the early 90's. After watching years of "new Basketball", I have noticed that most of the emphasis is on THE HANDLE, how to break a defenders ankles with a kiler crossover, Beating one or more defenders ..to the hole, the spin dribbnle. Now, I am aware that all of these skills are important if you want to play big time basketball. But, in my opinion, you need the complete package and passing is includeed as a very important skill and fundamental. With my pro team, its a skil I dedicate at least 30 minutes to every practice. . Sometimes, I even have to break down the correct procedure of the chest, bounce, baseball and overheadc passes. How many games have you witnesed in the NBA where individual players cant even get the ball inbounds. You can possibly credit that to great defense terrible offense, or simply poor passing decisions. l Coach Mac.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 06:29 

Coach Mac -

How are you doing my friend?? The game is pretty simple.... BUT, IF you cant pass or catch the ball, you aren't going very far! After coaching boys for 42+ years, 16 as the boys varsity coach..... I coached girls sophomores for one year.... I figured I would just be able to out coach a lot of guys..... yeah right!!

They couldn't PASS or CATCH the ball.... so I went to Plan B. We spend the first 20 - 30 minutes of every practice for the first month. They DID get better and I was able to cut back as the season progressed but we worked on passing drills every day.... and a lot of m2m defense too. We even played m2m om inbouns plays under... I was sick of giving up easy shots especially late in the game.

SO - YOU sure wont get an argument from me when it comes to passing/catching fundamentals... along with the rest of the fundamentals of the game. The old saying.... " IF your Jimmies and Joes are better than my Xs and 0s, you will win. " So, how do you get YOUR Jimmies and Joes better? By being fundamentally sound, success is a by product of that. You can have all kinds of fancy offenses and defense, plays etc..... but IF you cant execute anything, it doesn't make much difference.

Ok, I got that off my chest LOL Good hearing from you again, how are things going? Feeling better I hope!