All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 16:56 

When catching the ball on the perimeter do you teach front pivot, reverse pivot or both and why?

Thank you!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 06:49 
Site Admin

I teach both. Reverse pivot allows you to create more space and separation from the defender for a shot. Plant your outside foot, reverse pivot, and you're immediately squared for your shot.

Front pivot gets you closer to the basket... giving you an easier shot and or getting you in your shooting range. So sometimes a reverse pivot will take you out of your range. Plus the front and reverse pivots are universal skills that can be used in numerous ways on the basketball court. So it's a good thing for all players to practice.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 13:13 

We used both pivots also..... Inside_front pivot when receiving a pass on the perimeter for a shot.... and a back/reverse pivot in the post to create space since we were always shorter.

JeffHaefner wrote:
I teach both. Reverse pivot allows you to create more space and separation from the defender for a shot. Plant your outside foot, reverse pivot, and you're immediately squared for your shot.

This also gives you an option to pass fake, get your defender up and take him to the basket. I hope I explained this correctly.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 13:29 
Site Admin

Don't forget the drop step. Great way to create space on the perimeter and also attack the basket if the defensive player overplays a pass.

And both of you attended the Attack and Counter camps with Don....you should be ashamed. :)

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 14:07 

Sure, here I am trapped by the H bros...... I attack your inside shoulder Joe! Step through and draw the foul.... that was your fifth.... you ARE GONE LOL

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 16:10 

I was just teaching inside foot with front pivot, but now I will teach both.

Thank you

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 22:48 

Hello guys,
I often see pros reverse pivot on the perimeter. Any ideas or suggestions for specific situations when this is ideal on
the perimeter?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 06:09 
Site Admin

When catching the ball on the perimeter, the only reason I can think for using the reverse pivot is to create space as you square up to the basket. It could also give you a better angle to pass in the post and more spacing on offense.

When playing defense, you might reverse pivot to box out a shooter.

You also use the pivot when dealing with a defender in triple threat (ball security) -- might step through, rev pivot, front pivot, rev pivot, etc to protect the ball and then get a passing angle to a team mate.

Then if you have guards that catch in the post and/or need finishing moves, the reverse pivot can help with that. You can use the footwork to help create space off the dribble for a jump shot too. You use similar footwork when playing defense.