All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 16:37 

Coaches what are your feelings on the 4 across press break?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 17:27 

I don't know what you mean, but I ran the 4 across for many years. It gives you a lot of options.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 17:54 

I used 4 across a few times and switched to 3 up. I used FLOOD against zones, 3 up against a M2M press. A lot of times on zone presses, our kids would know to line up in the gaps, so we didn't really have to run our FLOOD press break.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/3UpPressBreak.html (3 up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ln0F5xdpg (FLOOD) - we told our point not to go all the way to 1/2 court - took too long to get back.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 15:02 

Thank you.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 15:28 

On the press break you choose, I don't think it matters too much which one it is, as long as you run it correctly. Once my kids started to really grasp the intention of a press and see how the fundamentals in a press break really work, it became a lot easier. I told my kids again last night, "It's not what we run, it's how we run it", referring to our 3 v 3 plays.

Coach K wrote:
I will be coaching an AAU 8th grade boys team this winter and am preparing now.
Any chance you can get that team together now and play in a spring/summer league? Or tourneys? That really helped us going into the fall/winter.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 15:32 

I would love to and I am working to see if the kids would be available to do this but there are a group of kids who participate in spring and summer activities such as track and baseball. Most of the kids played winter basketball. At this age I don't want to push kids to specialize in one sport and like multi sport athletes. We will do a lot of skill sessions with the kids during the summer for those who can fit it in.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 15:36 

Makes sense. I have a soccer player and baseball player on the team, so I understand. Also kids with outside interests other than sports. We'd go with the flow with the kids that could make it.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2013, 15:48 

They say that participating in several sports at young age is good for them. It doesn't burn them out on one sport so by the time they get to HS they have had enough.

Helps them to develop different muscles and coordination. There are several articles on this page.

http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=playing+multiple+sports+as+a+youth&s_it=keyword_rollover