All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 17:56 

Although, sadly, we can\'t work with our kids after our season is over. Much to my dismay!! We must wait now until the last "state' tournament of the year has been completed at end of May usually. Then we get an abbreviated 'summer' season. There we get 1 and maybe 2 practices a week to prepare them for a summer league and a tournament and possibly a camp. Yes I know the addage players are made in the 'off season'. But the restrictions here almost handcuff us for player development. Another challenge we have is our geographical location. We are on a peninsula and opportunities for playing away from here are very limited. Only (1) one select team in the area. Let me give you a brief example. WE just made it to the 'regional' game. Winner to state loser out. Our opponent had two freshmen starting for them! WE don't even get to have freshmen participate in basketball. Now let me tell you that the opponent\'s players weren't SUPERSTARS by any means, but what I'd call, very composed, fundamentally sound players. So I ask how they get that way. 99% of the time the answer is, "our girls play year round". There you go, more playing time AND for the most part a lot of fundamentally sound teaching of the development. So immediate isn't available to us. Although we always look for that volunteer to run something for us.

It's the same for everyone in our league. But when we play out of league the difference is very noticeable. When we get that special group that has played together for 4 or 5 years in both school and select/aau ball then we will have something that is more than a simmer.

Unfortunately for the girls, especially the seniors, this was it for them. We do have one girl that will go on to play at another level. There is a remote possibility that one more could play at the local JC. For me, I will continue on learning and growing the game. I am on a board that puts on a senior all star game. (for girls and boys in the area that are actually seniors in high school....that type of senior) I'll also go to some state games as well as attend the women\'s pac 12 tourney. I have plans to go to several days of the men's pac 12 tourney also. In the mean time I drool over the material in Break Through Basketball emails. Hope that one day we can at least work with 4 or 5 kids year round. That way we could keep them up to speed on player development. Do you know if other high schools let their coaches work with the kids .... after the season? It would be interesting feedback. For future planning...and petitioning for that arena.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 05:51 
Site Admin

For our high school team we can work players until state. Then we can't touch them until school is out and can work with them during the summer. But I have a couple coaching buddies in other towns that don't compete with us ( different school size and/or gender). They can work on our players skills while I work with theirs in exchange. So there are ways to train them year round.

With that said I think players need some time off to recharge and should also play other sports.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/end-of-season-tips.html
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/players/off-season-tips.html

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 00:13 

Hi Coaches,

Is the reasons you cannot work with your players during the off-season rule based or just lack of competitive basketball at High School level?

Regards

Functional Basketball Coaching

Twitter: @funbballcoach

Like Us on Facebook TODAY!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 07:36 

Most coaches will find a way around whatever rule that is in place..... AAU is the easiest way - park programs ( coaches cant work with the kids there, but maybe someone not on staff.)

For example.... I think that around here coaches have 20 some contact days with their players during the summer... but they get some of their players involved in AAU programs to get them needed playing time and hopefully practice time where they can work on their skills.