All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 11:20 

I have a post who has a decent mid range jumper and is easily my best offensive post, but he doesn't have any confidence in himself as a player. I want him to be aggressive offensively, how do I help him get the confidence he needs.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 13:00 

My first thought is make sure you're working on his weak hand in every practice. That includes dribbling and shooting. Mikan drills both hands, two balls, and reverse Mikans. I posted this in another thread, but I think this drill is great for big guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMaXO5WuxFA I'd also work in drills where he has to dribble with two balls. I think if you help him develop more weapons on the court, he'll feel more confident. And also, lots of encouragement from you when he's doing something you want.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 13:16 

Along with the things that Coach Rob said.... I would add this.... keep things simple for him... IF he has to think to much his feet will be slow as will his game. As for a post move, give him one and a counter to go with it.

I don't know how old this boy is..... but, if he is good, have a set play for HIM to SHOOT.... something where he knows its for HIM. That way he doesn't have any choice, he knows its for him and that just might increase his confidence... sounds like he is afraid to fail?????

Remind him of these two things..... 1- there are many baseball players hitting .300 or below that are making millions of dollars....that means they are failing 70% of the time. 2- HAVE FUN

If you need help with that, let me know and I can come up with something for him.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 09:09 

Thank you both.

Coach Sar, he is 13 years old, and I am going to find a play for him to shoot like you suggested. I also plan to talk to him today at practice and let him know that I want him to be more aggressive offensively.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 14:02 

Frankie,

IF you have a set play for him... I think he will get the idea.... talk to him in private about being more aggressive.... about looking for this shot more... and to have some FUN out there... shooting/scoring is fun... playing the game should be fun.

IF you have him playing the 2 guard or a forwards spot... Americas Play would be great for him.