All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 09:22 

I've been trying to get everyone on the team to box out. It seems like all the shorter players are doing it because they have always had to, but the taller players never needed to do it when they were younger. Now that other teams players are catching up to them in size they are getting beet even on free throws. Our last game was a little better than others. Is there any drills that may help?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 11:30 

Ignore.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 11:34 

Here are a few drills:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/closeoutbox.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/reactionrebounding.html

Honestly, boxing out is something you have to emphasize as a coach ALL the time. I find it's not so much the technique that's the problem, it's kids remembering to do it. The tendency is to immediately turn around and watch the shot go up. I've had games where I tell the kids that is the ONE thing they'd better do on defensive, even if they do nothing else, they better block out. Then I'll have someone (or a few people) track it and let me know who isn't blocking out.

Couple of other drills we do. Half court 5 v5 (or 4v4), coach shoots from outside (misses) and the teams compete for the rebound. No second shots, first rebound or loose ball off rebound. Once ball is secured, start over. Only way to win is defensive rebounds or loose balls off shot. If offense gets rebound they earned the right to be on defense. Losers run. Go to 5 points.

We also have one we use as a warm-up before games. Coach under basket, two lines on each side facing the FT line. One line is defense, one is offense. Coach rolls ball out to middle of paint. First person in D line has to touch opposite block, close out and box out. O line grabs ball and gets no dribble, just shoots ASAP. I spin the ball a bit sometimes instead of straight roll.

Whatever the drill is, make it competitive and give points for what you're trying to emphasize. In this case, it's blocking out and defensive rebounds.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 11:56 

Thanks Rob