All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 01:05 

I have some high school kids that do some unorthodoxed things at the foul line. Things like turning the feet at an angle & not toward the rim and one player even lines up a full body to the left of the rim so that they are as close to the elbow as the center of the foul line when shooting. What does everyone think? Do I force them to change after shooting like this for a long time or do I let stick with what they feel comfortbable with?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 06:08 
Site Admin

Personally I look at each individual player and will give them different advice (if any). I don't expect and teach all the players to shoot the exact same way. I'm also slow to change a players shot until I'm absolutely sure it's the right thing to do. Many times I'll record their shot and then watch it back in slow motion on the computer. I spot more things that way. The body is a kinetic chain and everything is linked together. If you change one thing, that can unexpectedly effect something else in the delivery.

I look at whether the player can deliver the ball straight. If not, why is that? Is it because their shot is a little different each time they shoot? Is it because they lack coordination? Is it because the ball doesn't roll off the fingers the same way each time?

Do they have enough arc? Do they have a slow or a quick shot? If it's slow we might try to make it more efficient without changing the fundamental release.

I'm not saying you shouldn't change things. That's just how I handle it.

Regarding a staggered stance. Tom Nordland, Paul Hoover and other shooting coaches teach the staggered stance. So maybe what they are doing is ok. If you watch NBA players you'll notice a good number do not point feet directly at the basket and they feet are pointing off to the side a little bit.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 06:27 

Some great advice Jeff-

As for their feet .... I know that I had my feet slightly turned to the left. ( I am right handed ) So, I don't see that as a problem.

As for shooting close to the elbow.... I had a sophomore kid try that.... he was my best player and he was not very good from the FT line... I wasn't sure that he was doing that to aggravate me ot what. I allowed him to do that for awhile... He was worse from that spot... so I "convinced" him to get back to the middle. I don't know why they would want to be standing close to a defender when they have the easiest shot on the court.

Take shot charts with each one of these players... IF they are shooting well, I would leave them alone.... IF they are shooting poorly, I would step in and try to correct the problem. Like Jeff said, I wouldn't want to mess with the release IF he is shooting well.... "IF its not broken - don't fix it?"

IF the stats you take say that there needs to be a change, then you need to become a salesman, you need to be able to sell them on the fact that they need to "tweak" their shot.

Take some stats and let us know what % they are shooting at .... good luck

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 06:30 
Site Admin

Good advice. And while your tracking the stats. Chart whether they are missing to the right, left, long, or shot. If a kid consistently misses short, well it's obvious what they need to fix. If they consistently miss right and left, look at the shots on slow motion video and see why they aren't able to shoot straight.