All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 08:20 

Well I am set to start Coaching a Varsity Girls Basketball Team. They have finished the last two seasons 6-34 with 0 conference wins both seasons. That is 3-17 each season. I have not met the girls yet but know a few are athletic and participate in volleyball, etc.

I am wondering what drills aside from basics I can use to test each players all around skills so I know for sure who is going to be dependable. I have heard nightmare stories from parents and other coaches. They were taught to shoot 1 handed for some reason. They didn't run much in practice, etc etc etc.

So far I'm looking at just a few drills based on fundamentals and then seeing how they respond to trap pressure, dribbling around opponents, being chased on a fast break, etc.

Love the sport, my experience thus far is with men's travel, club, prep & aau teams. I've always done well in competition. Just trying to prepare myself and get knowledge from other coaches who have been in similar situations.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 15:01 

This is a tough situation... ( of course you aleady know that ) If this were me I would make sure that I am using the KISS method on everything I did. From what I am reading - you are telling us that they don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the game.

Teach a lot of fundamentals, keep your offense and defense basic for this year. Make sure that you can break a full and half court press/trap. You can always add things as you go along IF they are able to pick things up. Don't overwhelm them with a lot of stuff they cant handle.

I coached soph girls one year ( I was the varsity boys coiach ) amd I tried to teach the post players several moves.... I think that one player made ONE move the entire year. Think I wasted a lot of time? I do! Don Kelbick said, don't spent 80-90% of your practice on something you use 5-10% of the time.

Make good practrice plans and re-evaluate them every day to make sure that you are going in the right direction.

You are now the manager/head coach of this program, you need to start at the bottom and make sure the freshman & sophomores are being taught a lot of fundamentals and your system. You will need to build a good foundation through them and your program will flourish. IF you don't, you will be experiencing exactly what you are facing now.

Don 't worry about the Ws & Ls this year, it should be more about moving from point A to point Z at the end of the year. Are your kids improving the way you want them to. Look at the Cubs ( I cant LOL ) they are backing up the bus and pretty much starting over. Thats where you are with this program... starting over. JMO

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 08:06 

Coach,

Congratulations on your new gig.

Patience is what you need most along with a plan.

We have a local coach who is reaching out to the younger kids some as young as 10 through the locial clubs and cosches. He wants them to stress more fundamentals.

You'll need a good piipeline.

Coach Sars points are great.

Good luck

Get Your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: Top Priorities For A New Youth Basketball Coach
http://www.bestyouthhoops.com/blog

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 12:43 

Wowzer,
Just wondering how your team has done this season?
What did you do that worked?
What would you have changed?