All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 05:18 

Hello coaches, in our small team I got one girl that is very "apathetic" she don't even try to work hard, every drill we do with her involved, the drill become to be rubbish, slow , no running, no passing, I try to motivate her, I tried to explain how important she is for the team, but nothing work, I don't want our short practice time to be punishment running for all the team, and I don't think it will work, she is holding our process and I don't know what to do...

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 16:02 

The first thing I would do is talk to her directly and be direct. Ask her if she wants to play on the team. If she says yes, tell her what you expect from her in practice. You can try having consequences for her (e.g., running laps, etc.), but it appears she just isn't into playing.

The second thing I would do is talk with her parents and see if there's something going on at home or school. This could be as simple as the player not wanting to play basketball, but she feels forced by her parents.

You can't let her attitude affect the team and practice or your enjoyment of coaching. It might come down to telling the parents you don't think she's a fit for the team.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 17:18 
Site Admin

It depends on the philosophy of the team, etc. I think it's important to communicate to parents/players what to expect before they join. For some of our teams, we communicate the importance of effort and commitment. If players don't do those things, they don't play and/or they get removed from the team. Communication is important -- and they need to know those things before joining.

On the other hand, if this is a recreational or development team... you work with players and do not cut anyone. And everyone gets playing time. There are all types of teams for all types of players.

If nothing was communicated then do the best you can to help all your players. Then maybe next season, if you want to, you can set new expectations. But it's hard to be too tough on a kid mid-season if they weren't told what they are getting into.

Hopefully that makes sense.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 01:24 

Thank you coach! the team is everyone allowed to join, everyone get the same play time :)
Make the whole team "pay" buy running is not a solution here, Cu's the problem is deeper and not one time ting, I think i will talk to the parents first and see what they say

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 12:22 

Agree with Jeff here on the communication piece, always a good thing to communicate up front before the first practice. Along with communicating your coaching and team philosophy.

Even if this is a recreational league where "all kids play", you're dealing with a situation in practice that seems to be disruptive. Public schools are also required to allow all kids in their district to attend classes, however, if one of them is disrupting the entire class something needs to be done.

Let us know how it goes.