All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 14:14 

Greetings;
I am a coach and director within a youth rec basketball league, and a coach on a school competitive team.
In the case of the rec league at the high school level we had a rule wherein zone was allowed for only 1/2 the game, however you wanted to split it, and done by the honor system (i.e., no tracking by refs, or scorekeepers, etc. -- just the coach, himself). This year it was opened up entirely - any defense is allowed at any time for however long. I should also add that we have no practice sessions at all. (This is purely a play basketball in a structured environment league, and everyone likes that about it.)
I am interested in hearing opinions as to whether zone defense is appropriate for high school rec league.
Thank you!
Rob

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 14:28 

I for one am a m2m guy and think that it should be played that way even at the rec level... but, its high school and since the rule states any zone is legal... I would let them play what they want.Its supposed to be fun for them while being competitive.... let them use their strategy any way they want. They will get the idea that somewhere in the game, they will have to cover someone... m2m. JMO