All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 10:20 

What elementary school grades make the most sense to combine on youth basketball teams? We presently have grades 3&4 forming one league and grades 5&6 another. Other schools combine grades 4th, 5th and 6th together in one league and have 2nd and 3rd graders combine in another. This would allow 2nd graders to get involved. Once kids get into 7th grade they enter the school team.

We can only have two distinct seasons, one for the older kids and one for the beginners. Which system is preferable?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 13:09 
Site Admin

I guess it depends on the goals of the league, how many kids you have, etc. In my experience, it's hard to combine 4th and 6th graders, there can be a really big different in ability there.

Shooting also becomes an issue at that age. They just aren't strong enough to shoot the ball properly. We suggest...

• USE 6 FT. RIMS FOR KIDS THAT ARE 5 TO 7 YEARS OLD.
• USE 8 FT. RIMS FOR 8 AND 9 YEARS OLD.
• USE 9 FT. RIMS FOR 10 AND 11 YEAR OLDS.
• USE REGULATION FOR 12 YEAR OLDS AND UP.

We also suggest that you use smaller basketballs.

Here is a document explaining the proper development of athletes. I think it's a well done and eye opening document that should help you design your league with the kids best interests in mind. Read it closely.
http://www.coach.ca/files/LTAD_forparents_EN_Final.pdf

PS - I hope you don't allow full court press or zone defense at that age.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 13:18 

I agree with Jeff on this....

Here is something you might want to look at... especially Bob Bigelows "Coaching Youth Basketball.... let them have FUN and teach something about the game.... KISS method for the younger ones.. .2-4th....

Mixing them is tough.... 3/4 - 5/6 and let the 2nd graders play with their own age group. JMO

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=8&cat=Coaching+Youth+Basketball

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 09:40 

I'm very interest in this topic, with expanded look at how to select the teams.

Our league is K-8. D Div K/1, C Div 2/3, B Div 4/5, & A div 6-8. All are 5 on 5. All play zone. There is a huge difference in abilities in each division. Coaches draft teams. Players go into the draft when the move on to the next division.

I would like to see our league change drastically. I'd like for k/1 to be played 3 on 3 1/2 court. Which would allow 2 games to take place at one time. Possibly have every team have an "A" and "B" team divided up by ability. "A" player from 2 teams would play on one end while "B" players played on the other.

Possibly even follow that same philosophy for 2/3.

Man to man only. No zone.

I'd like to come up with a better method of dividing players up onto teams. Not fond of the drafting method.

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 11:55 

Everybody likes to LOAD up their own team... God forbid they don't win!

Think about this.... have the coaches sit down and draft teams..... then put the papers in a basket and let them blind draw for the team they are going to coach. I think that they might do a better job of selectiong teams?

Or, you could have a couple of "officers" for the league make up teams ( hopefully they are knowledgeable ) and let the coaches do the blind draw.

NOT playing zones is a GREAT idea... and so is 3 o 3 for the younger kids.K/1 - 2/3 - 4/5 play 3 on 3 This would be a GREAT developmental grouping.

6,7&8 can play 5 on 5. JMO

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 12:51 

Most of the rec leagues I've participated in over the years allow teams to sign-up as a team. The biggest reason is most kids want to play with their friends and families fit with certain coaches. Does your league draft because they're afraid coaches will stack teams?

On a side note: one way to stop teams from playing their best players all the time is to establish playing time requirements. Every player must play X amount of time each qtr or each player must play an entire qtr from start to finish. Something that makes it clear to everyone this is about getting the kids out on the court, not playing your best players the entire game.

Love the 3 on 3 concept for the younger levels. In fact, I'd consider offering that as a separate league for all ages maybe in the spring and fall. Tons of ball touches and every player has opportunities to pass, shoot, rebound, dribble, set screens, block-out, cut, etc. I'm a BIG fan of 3 on 3 at any level. Too easy to "hide" in 5 on 5 and barely touch the ball.

With the 6th-8th levels, you could go with A and B divisions if you had enough players. Even then, you'll find teams not wanting to play in the "A" division that should be, so they end up dominating the "B" division. Are you thinking of having tryouts for these A/B divisions?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 09:58 

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have an opportunity to reshape our league. With the great suggestions that I've received above, I would also like some examples of "model leagues" that are "doing it the right way".

I've run across a couple that I would consider that are "doing it right".
Delbrook Steve Nash Youth Basketball League (http://delbrookbasketball.com/)
Katy Youth Basketball (http://www.katyyouthbasketball.com/)

Any opinions on these two organizations? Also any others?

Thanks,

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 12:47 

TSYouthSports wrote:
Any opinions on these two organizations? Also any others?Thanks,
Those both look like good organizations to me. Another organization that can be helpful is Positive Coaching Alliance. I've taken both coaching courses, read several of the books, and attended a few seminars. Good stuff.

Your update got me thinking about something. The leagues that "really get it" are the ones with a well thought out philosophy/mission about youth sports. They emphasize fun, learning, and a positive environment. Their philosophy defines the structure of the league (e.g. how many players on a team, zone or no zone, presses, ball touches) and also who they have as coaches. These leagues celebrate and reward the key points of their philosophy.

If I was setting up a league, I'd make certain ALL my coaches were committed to our mission and have a short training video emphasizing key points. I'd also make the parents watch a short video on what being a youth sport parent means in our league (e.g. letting the coaches coach, refs ref and kids play). I'd include the refs and ask them to emphasize our philosophy during games.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 07:21 

I coach my youngest sons team, K-1st grade team. Attached is the text exchange that I had with a parent of one of my players over the weekend. My original text to this parent was to see how her son was feeling because he got sick at our practice earlier in the week.

The parent did not come to me to discuss this at the game.

Some points of note. They reset the score after each quarter for this age division. My team is the only team in the entire league that plays M2M defense.

This parent's view is exactly what is wrong with youth sports.

Attachments:
allstar.pdf [47.03 KiB]
Downloaded 1968 times

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 09:14 
Site Admin

Some will never get it and there's nothing you can do. You help who you can. Some do come around with education. It takes time but by sharing philosophies, studies, and stats you can bring some parents around. I think all parents have good intentions, it's just that many are misguided.