All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 10:21 

You are TOO KIND Jeff!

As I was reading this, I was thining - ARE YOU KDDING ME?? These are K 1 kids - This should be all about FUN!!

YOu are right Jeff, some people will never get it. Coach, have a meeting with your parents and discuss your philosophy regarding playing time and what you are trying to teach. Hopefully all the kids are getting equal playing time.
Since they are resetting the clock the parents shoiuld understand that its not about winning or who is better than someone else.... Its all about teachiing and having fun..... Theser are little kids, not the NBA!!

Good luck and God Bless you for working with kids of this age.... I hope your main GOAL is all about FUN right now!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 19:03 

TSYouthSports wrote:
I coach my youngest sons team, K-1st grade team. Attached is the text exchange that I had with a parent of one of my players over the weekend.
Wow! Just caught this post and read the text. My first thought is why isn't this kid on a traveling kindergarten team if he's that good? Come to think of it, he is on a "traveling" kindergarten team. I've dealt with a few over zealous parents through the years, but not a K-1 parent thinking about W's & L's.

Agree with Sar, I'd have a quick meeting or send an e-mail reiterating your coaching philosophy. Catching those specific parents after a game and talking in a calm manner might also help things for the remainder of the season.

With regards to your team being the only one playing M2M, I'm surprised the league doesn't have a rule about that. Same with equal playing time at that age. In fact, I'm surprised they keep score at all with the K-1. Kinda goes back to my original point on leagues making their philosophies and rules clear from the get go. Then reinforcing them by using the refs to remind coaches to play M2M or make sure the kids are getting equal playtime with subs.

I coached in a rec flag football league for a number of years and we'd run into teams that ran their hotshots over and over with the other kids on the team rarely touching the ball. It was obvious to me that all the parents wanted their kid to get his/her shot with the ball each game. So, we had a parent track the ball touches (handoffs and receptions) and tell me who needed a touch in-between series. Ended up going to the league director and explaining what we were doing and they changed the rules because of it. Even then, we'd still run into coaches excluding certain kids from touches because they were slow or uncoordinated.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 19:28 

These are parents that don't have a clue Rob - When I read that I was shaking my head and had a lot of things that I wanted to say, but I bit my tongue.

Thesre are people that are playing their youth over through their own kids.... pretty sad.

Coach, I hope that you got things worked out so that YOU and the KIDS can have some FUN!!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 13:55 

Update. I originally posted to this thread a few year ago. Just thought I would post an update on our youth league.

I've been on the board for 3 yrs now. I've been able to implement the following changes.

No draft. League officials evaluate players and form teams based on skill level. (distribute players)

D divsion (k-1st grade)
8'ft rim/27.5" ball
3v3 1/2 court (no score kept)
equal playing time
M2M defense only

C division (2nd - 3rd grade)
8.5ft rim/28.5" ball
5v5
No press
M2M defense only
2 qtr min playing time

B division (4th - 5th grade)
9ft rim/28.5" ball
5v5
press allowed
M2M defense only in 1st half
2 qtr min playing time

A division (6th - 8th grade)
10ft rim/28.5" ball
5v5
press allowed
M2M defense only in 1st half
2 qtr min playing time

There are still more changes that I would like to see implemented that I feel would benefit the fundamental development of all kids in the league. Here are a few:
M2M only for all divisions
90% of practice time spent on skill development
Structured requirements on practice planning
At least one qtr where each teams best players are not on the floor
Coaching clinics (required)

I'm always in search of ideas from other leagues.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 07:11 
Site Admin

Great job. I might implement...

- no zone presses at for teams 5th grade or below
- no press if you are up 12 points or more
- for M2M defense, I like your idea of must be man in first half. that way coaches can run a little zone and players can get some exposure to zone. maybe all M2M for 5th grade in below. then after 5th grade allow zone for half of the game.

Nice work.