All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 07:38 

Hi, everyone, maybe you can help me, I have a 4th grade girls team and I have a player with lots of ability but is not shown an aggressive move yet. The girl is my center and she is a champion swimmer so I know it is there by the question is how do I transfer it to physical aggression to better her game. I know fundamentals are #1 no issue's there we are focused completely on fundamentals and enjoyment, but I feel I need to do something to help this girl develop more.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 08:24 

Some 4th graders are just not aggressive .... but IF you make your drills competitive that should bring out some of her competitive nature.....
I even hate to use the term loser for this age group, but run drills and the losers have to do something ... 3 pushups or something small like that.. situps... run to half court and back ?
What part of her game is NOT aggressive?.... Scoring / rebounding / Defense etc. ??

I saw a boys varsity center who was the Captain / quarteback of their football team become soft on the basketball floor..... so it does happen. The coach asked me what he could do, my suggesstion was to appeal to his manliness? Was he going to let X / Y or Z player push him around and make him look bad? Not so sure that is the right approach with a 4th grade girl.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 08:36 

well coach mostly on the rebounding and defense side, she shoots when she is open she takes the ball to the basket BUT she refuses to block out or go after loose balls. I think I will do some competitive drills as you suggest, I try to keep them to a minimum now but I need these girls to understand sometimes you have to go get the ball. I have a great bunch of kids but only a handful care to be physical so the aggressive drills may help. Thanks again!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 08:50 

You could give certificates at the end of every week for LEADING REBOUNDER / PLAYER WHO GETS THE MOST LOOSE BALLS ETC.

And any other part of the game that you would like to see them improve on.

We used to give out " Player of the Week " Certificates and post them outside the cafeteria every week... kids love to see their names in lights... you could give yours out at the end of every week in front of parents and players. We always made it a point to make sure that every player got at least one ..... it doesn't need to be your leading scorer etc... it can be for someone who had a great practice week etc. Make up your own rules.... at this age you can keep them all happy doing stuff like this.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 08:52 

The defensive side you are talking about is rebounding and loose balls exclusivley ... or something else too?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 11:24 

the entire defensive aspect, the girls don't like to make contact and is sluggish at best (timid) , she plays really NICE I think she may say excuse me when she bumps into someone. joking of course, but I thought that might help you get the picture a little better.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 13:44 

She has a NICE personality.... and I would hate to change that... you just have to appeal to her competitive nature to get her to play harder... put her in a position to be successful at first and then make it tougher as you go along...

There are some drills that involve contact.... bumping / denying the cutter, denying the post etc..... things like this... use them to get them used to contact. You might try using a football blocking pad to get her and others to put their butts into.... simulate a player.