All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 22:48 

Is this a common struggle to coach your own kids teams?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 06:20 

I'm not sure what you are referring to coach???

When you coach your own son and his team, you have to walk this fine line so everyone of those kids know you aren't playing favorites... and you need to treat your son just like the rest. Many times coaches will be harder on their kids which causes problems... remember, its a game and they all need to have some fun.

Practice and games are just that... when you walk off the floor let that stuff behind you unless your son brings it up... go for ice cream or something....

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2011, 08:39 

It will always be a struggle. You must be realistic when you teach/coach your own children. I have done it with three girls and each one was different. I had to make my self look at them as players, not my daughter, when I coached. One of them never even started for me for the most part, she was the sixth one off the bench. That causes a whole other set of problems at home when Momma thinks she should be starting because you are the coach. I would say overall I was harder on them than the other players. Especially when I first started with my oldest daughter. Learn to say, "I'm sorry, I will try to do better.", I did that a lot my first year!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 09:28 

I coach my 9 yr old daughter and at first it was hard, the things we would work on together 1 on 1 she would forget at practice around her friends it was frustrating, however we talked a lot and she feels very comfortable in pointing out my mistakes and I have to say I have learned more from her then she has from me, now we leave basketball at the gym and if we need to talk after practice we do it before we leave as I would any other player-- we have bonded on a new level and it is a JOY to coach my daughter and very exciting to watch her learn the game that I was always so passionate about. This should be a great experience for the both of you make it that, let them decide sometimes what drill to do from a few you have picked out for practice, as you are planning, that makes them feel an even bigger part of the team and will expand there roll when they are playing there understanding of what you need to accomplish will spill over to the other players.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 12:17 

With my kids, when they were real young.....they thought it was pretty cool for me to coach and for them to stand out as the "coaches son" or the "coaches daughter". Even though I never gave them preferencial treatment they thought maybe they were getting it. Plus they liked being the only player to know what we were working on before a practice and what our strategy would be before a game because I would discuss things with them prior to.

Then they become pre-teens!!
Now..at times..they show a little disrespect toward you....a little attitude....they gravitate toward being the "spokesperson" of the team because they feel they can openly criticize without consequences. Most outgrow this phase....my kids did.....I still coach my daughter, she's 14.....I know she really likes me as head coach though she'll never publicly admit it!!!

Good Luck!!

Enjoy it!! It is soooo worth it!!

Coach A