All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 10:20 

Do you know of any camps for girls middle school basketball teachers out here in California in the next three months or so?
Thanks,
Pete May

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 07:20 

Pete,

Jim McGannon, Basketball Basics.

I do not know of any coaches clinics in CA. However, consider this option.

I run Coach's Clinics often, around 6 a year. While I could conceivably come to CA, that expense would be considerable. I already have all the materials in hand, it is a 3 hour clinic. The 1st 2 hours are all about age appropriate skill development. Given these are 5th/6th Grade girls, how the skills are taught, reinforced and modeled is very important and would/should differ from say HS girls or even MS Boys. We are very good at this, teaching coaches how to teach and measure the skills.

The final hour is about practice preparation and game management. There's nothing very complicated about this portion, frankly at this tender age, everything should be about basic skill development, although there may be some strategy once the games begin depending upon the skill level of your players (generally kids this age are very developmental, although there are some exceptions).

Something we could also refer to is the following link which physically demonstrates several of the drills the girls will be conducting each day in practice. (I am the demomonstrator in these clips)
http://mybasketballbasics.com/SkillsVideoClips.aspx.

It's likely we would not need 3 hours to do this, probably more like 2, in a conference call setting. It would work. You would have the materials in hand and we would go over it point by point and refer to the clips as needed.

Let me know if this is of interest to you. I played at Dartmouth for Gary Walters the current AD at Princeton. Coach Walters played at Princeton with Bill Bradley. We are very good at TEACHING the game using these highly credible sources as a back drop to the instruction.

Thanks. feel free to call me as well 616 402-1600

www.MyBasketballBasics.com