All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 07:11 

Hello all,

In Holland we have a system with clubs instead of teams in schools, what you probably already know. I am a coach in a pretty small club. But the last years we have grown. I am also a member of our Technical Commision which determines the youthpolicy and so on. Last year we started with a U10 (under 10 years old) team, we already had a U12 (under 12 year old) team. This year I recruited 5 trainers from the U16 team. What we now have is 10 U10 kids, 12 U12 kids and 5 trainers for this group. But the trainers just started and have no experience in coaching at all. I'd like to start up a discussion in how you would set this up. Where is your focus on? How do you coach these trainers to develop well trained trainers and get a quality youth department?

Just put you thoughts down here, all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Coach Kris

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 09:43 

Coach Kris,

As in all basketball clubs, schools or organizations I would think you would start with a Mission Statement or Philosophy.

A set of objectives, guidelines and established rules is required. A website would be nice.

As for training the trainers. I would assume the trainers (coaches) have youth coaching experience. There may be youth coaching clinics in your area. There are plenty of instructional DVD's available and lots of youth coaching resources right here on this website.

I know this was a brief and rough outline but I hope it gets you started.

Good Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 12:13 

Great answer Coach A....

After you follow his suggestions its time to sit down and decide what you are going to teach at each level.... improving and adding to the one pervious. You aren't going to be teaching the same things to the 9-10 year olds as you would the 15-16 year olds.

Stay pretty basic with the younger kids and let them have some fun and then build on those experiences as they move up levels of play.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 12:15 

Great answer Coach A....

After you follow his suggestions its time to sit down and decide what you are going to teach at each level.... improving and adding to the one pervious. You aren't going to be teaching the same things to the 9-10 year olds as you would the 15-16 year olds.

Stay pretty basic with the younger kids and let them have some fun and then build on those experiences as they move up levels of play.

There are some great DVDs out there and Bob Bigelow has a great one for the younger kids. I think that Jeff and Joe have a link to this.....

Here are a few -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kjZhJvmHAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy6LTXtz-60&feature=related

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 13:42 

Great tips, the only problem we have is that the new trainers doesn't have any experience. I can find a lot of DVD's and resources indeed, but not much information on how to guide these new trainers. Any tips for that?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 13:59 

For the younger kids... The Bob Bigelow DVD - build on that

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 14:07 

Look on the left side Kris... there is a lot of info there....

Where Should New Players and Coaches Start?
First, we suggest that you focus on learning the basic fundamentals of basketball.

To teach fundamental skills, start with these 72 free basketball drills that include full diagrams and step by step instructions. They will help you develop strong fundamentals and basketball skills.

Like any sport, no matter what your age -- whether you're a professional athlete or a youth player just getting started -- you need strong fundamentals to be successful!

Unfortunately, most people don't really understand what that means.

The fundamentals include working on the little things that make you better -- no matter what team or coach you play for -- or what offense or defense you are running.

For example, by working on the fundamentals of shooting, you will get better no matter what team you play for. The fundamentals of shooting include proper foot alignment, leg bend, hand position, arm angle, follow through, and so on. These are some of the little things that make a difference. Learn them!

The same goes for lays ups, foot work, post play, passing, jab steps, jump stops, pivoting, blocking out, and so on.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/basics/basics.html

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 14:14 

The next thing I would suggest is to hold a coaching clinic for these new trainers.

They are going to need a lot of direction as to where to start and including setting up a good practice plan - Daily, weekly, and monthly.
Show them a natural progression of teaching the skills and the game. They might even need a mentor to help them out for awhile.

The entire program should have a natural progression of how and when things are going to be taught... at every level.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 01:52 

Thanks, I already started the discussion in the club about this and some of them are very positive, some of them think I want too much for such a small club. But I think for a good club, of any size, you need to know what you are teaching the kids and guide the trainers in teaching it. I don't think there is an easy way of doiing it, just put on paper what we want to learn and how. I can certainly use the resources on the left! I started this discussion to get a feel about how I could persuate the others to be positive about it too, because I think it is something that you need.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 06:47 

There is a simple answer to this..... ITS BECAUSE IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. You are doing this for the kids and any effort less than their best is a waste. I bet they want the best OUT of their KIDS... well, the COACHES need to do the same. To the best of their ability.... and IF they don't know something they need to find out the how's and whys.

IF they want to be a trainer / coach - then do it to the best of your abilities ... become a student of the game so you can teach your players that right way to do things..... IF you want a good club, all it really takes is a little planning and the people that want to make it successful.

Ask them what they are looking for in your club? Do they want to be one of the best? Or just a rec team? Do they want to teach the players the best way to play the game? Are they willing to be GREAT teachers of the fundamentals? This is the key.... I always say that WINNING is a by product of a program with solid fundamentals. Develop the talent that they have and then you will have a good program.

Would they accept anything less of themselves at their place of employment? The answer is simple... IF you want to get ahead in this world.... you have to do more than people expect of you.... otherwise you will be in the middle of the pack and that will get you nowhere. OK, sorry for the rambling.