All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 12:54 

I coach 3rd and 4th grade girls. We have 14 players. How can I get them equal playing time? Our league requires equal time and I fully support it! The school won't break the team into two.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 12:57 

Ouch..... 14 kids and equal time....... and yes at this age they should play... and have FUN.

I would try to break it down where you have at least one good ball handler on each team....a shooter and a rebounder. Find a good defensive player and let them play.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 14:21 

Geez..... that is tough!!! But ya gotta do it for the kids...somehow...

with 14, I would split the teams into
Team A- 5 players
Team B- 5 players
Team C- 4 players

Each team be fairly equal in talent. As Coach Sar stated, each team should have at least one good ballhandler, one good defender, one good shooter and one big.

You can't do this on your own. If you are the head coach you need to manage the game. Have a good assistant coach by your side during the game to keep track of time and subs. I would sub in a fresh new team every 2-3 minutes. When you sub with Team C, one player would fill in from Team A. When Team A comes in again, one player from Team C stays. Next subbing, all players from Team B would get sent in. It can be a little confusing...... so have your assistant actually write down what players go in at what time.

At the 3rd and 4th grade levels the parents know you are doing the best you can with subbing so you should not catch any static from them. Important tip...mix up team A, B and C every game. Make sure that EVERY player STARTS a game at least once!!

Also be prepared for 1 or 2 girls not showing up cuz of injury or sickness,,,,,that will change your subbing rotation.

Last tip, at this age level and with 14 girls I would get a 3rd coach who will be helpful during practices but will be very useful on your bench during games. This coach can talk to players on bench about the game as it is being played. Explain things to them, cheer them up and take care of any injuries. Because believe me , I know....3rd and 4th grade girls....playing basketball........14 total...THEY GET HURT!!! Any bump, bruise, collision, falling down, floor burn....they run back to the bench crying so have ice packs on hand!!

Enjoy!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 14:27 

Thanks coaches. Those are good suggestions and I will see what I can do. I do have a good assistant and another that when he is not traveling will be of help.

Coach Jim