All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 08:27 

Hello,

This is my first time coaching a youth basketball team. My main question is what would I be look for in a player during tryouts. I think that I get to pick 13 players, and I heard that there could be up to 30 players trying out. Also is there any website that might give me a set up of how it would be ran. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 10:44 

First, get yourself 1 or 2 good assistants or parent helpers. You'll need them during the tryouts.

Assign each player a number that can be attached to the back of his/her jersey. You and your coaches should have a clipboard with a spreadsheet to be used as a checklist, showing the jersey number of each player trying out with columns that have the following:

Dribbling Skills
Shooting Skills
Passing Skills
Defense
Hustling
Attitude
Rebounding
...I'm sure there are others....

Set up dribbling stations, shooting, passing stations, conditioning and end the tryout with fullcourt scrimmages.

You will rate each player throughout the tryouts. Grading them 1 thru 5 on how proficient they are in each category. After the tryouts get together privately with your coaches to go over their evaluation sheet. Tally up the numbers and decide on what 13 kids you would want on the team. Other factors to help you decide is speed and size.
Sometimes it's not all about talent....you want good kids with good attitudes who work hard!

Remember:
"Hard work beats talent if talent does not work hard"

Good Luck

Coach A