All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 13:25 

Thanks guys. Responses are not a problem.

Actually, I am pretty sure I am doing a pretty good job of coaching these kids. I certainly am getting the most out of them that they have at this point in their short careers. But, when you have a couple of kids who can't even keep their shoes tied, how far can you go.

However, I know they are all disappointed. Keeping them positive will be a challenge the next few weeks. I am generally not a big "stats" guy at this age, but I'll probably track rebounds and loose balls going forward. They all get a snack after the game. I am also thinking about "awards." So far I have: Leadership, best defender, most improved defense, most improved, "lunch bucket" (hardest worker), most hustle. I need four more for the kids who don't have a lot to "reward" yet. I don't think most frustrated or most potential will go over very well. :) Something to keep them positive.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 16:04 

FINALLY!!!! Thunder wins. An ugly one -- 5-0.

Had only 9 (out of 10) today. 5 took shots. 2 made them and 1 boy made a free throw.

Obviously, we need to work A LOT this week on shooting. Way too many easy misses. Also the boys are stopping their cuts way short and waiting for the ball allowing the defense to get to them. We are also "squeezing" down our set -- getting to close together.

My "3rd" point guard, really played well today. Been working with him for several weeks a little at a time. Today he got his chance to shine and he did -- with Gradma and Grampa there. I love it when a plan comes together.

Defensively, we dominated the rebounds. My "big" had 10-12. My "scrappers" got a ton of loose balls. Even one of my small begining players FINALLY began to switch and help on defense. Made a huge difference. I think we are the only team to pitch a shutout.

Turns out one of the kids on the other team was on my team last year. He was their main player -- and little has changed. Undisciplined. Taking the ball, doing what he wants and taking wild shots. All we had to do was out hustle them. Drove me nuts last year -- the most frustrating thing ever. Worked in my favor today.

Unfortunately, I had to sit my own undisciplined player for a while today. Showed up way late (several minuites into the game) and wasn't hustling or paying a lot of attention on defense. I just calmly told him that he needed to hustle and pay attention and I would play him when he was ready. We'll see next week.

On to next week. Thanks.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2010, 07:24 

Another Victory! 16-15.

It was a great game by two evenly match teams -- we had the same record going in. 5 kids took shots. 4 scored, with a couple getting a free throw. Had a new kid finally take a shot and scored -- nice backdoor cut into the lane, catch, turn and shoot.

Things really started to come together. My developing point guard played another great game. Makes you wish you had the practice time to work with him so as to get him ready earlier. I also switched my son back to where he should play -- small forward. He was playing point guard because I didn't have anyone else. Switched him with a short, athletic kid, who when he learns to control his speed and shoot will be dangerous -- the only kid ever to tell me he didn't really want to play point guard.

Well, my boy scored 11 points. The best part is we where able to show the other kids exactly what we wanted them to do all season -- drive to the basket. Cut off the screen, catch the ball on the wing, square up, tripple threat, and drive = layup. No dribbling into the corner or from side to side as they typically do.

We built a "big" 8 point lead at half time. We tell the boys not to get lazy and that the other team is going to come back if we don't continue to hustle and work hard. And with 30 seconds left in the game, the other team is up by 1. Time out. I tell the boys we need to play tough defenses and what to do next time on offense. We get the ball on a turnover, come down the court, execut the screen and cut and my boy hits a 12 footer to go up by 1. 14 seconds left. Time for tough defense. Don't let them get inside. We stop them. An excellent game played by both sides.

Next week should be really fun. I have some kids who will miss, and the balance will get a lot of playing time. I'll even be able to put my 5 best on the floor at the same time.

Now a comment on the m2m defense rules at this level. Admittedly, we play a 5 out offense to open up the middle -- kids at this age have a natural tendency to close it down. The other team, really spread his kids out -- essentially one in each corner, just in bounds. Then they would either drive or one kid would cut into the middle, which was wide open, and take the shot. My concern was that the Ref we had really "enforced" the m2m rule -- he made sure that the kids knew who they where guarding and that the actually guarded the kids. Not a bad thing imo. However, it made it difficult to work in help defense. During the last minute of the game, my boy was defending the wing, but he really sagged off so he could deny the penetration. It worked, but I was afraid he was going to get called because he was 5-6 feet from his man.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 21:38 

Final game ended with a loss, 12-4.

We just couldn't buy a shot today. We had several missed layups and second chance rebounds that really cost us the game. Otherwise we should have won. 6 players took shots, 1 scored.

Only 7 kids today, so first qtr. I am able to play my 5 best all at once. They did pretty good -- won the quarter 4-0. Kids where pumped up -- had several shots sail over the backboard. Best part was my "problem child" got the message and took the ball to the hoop and scored our 4 points. As he was resting, I told him what a great job he did and how that is what we wanted to see all year. Well everything when to ____ after that. I think the kids got frustrated that their shots where not going in.

The last three quarters, it appeared that the kids had no idea how to play basketball anymore. To the point that they couldn't even line up correctly in our 5 out set. The past several weeks I had been trying to get the wings to start high and open up the lane for cutting. There is a nice line on our court -- stand one step off the line. Where do they stand -- all the way down to the elbow. Then a few where setting up on the wrong sides. Then they stopped screening and cutting. They stopped looking to pass to the open man and started dribbling all over the place. My "problem child" reverted back to his old form -- dribble into the corner and just throw the ball up towards the hoop. It was a mess. I have never been so frustrated. My poor son was so frustrated -- he knew what everyone should be doing and saw nobody doing it.

Well it is finally over. There was a lot of good. Most kids improved their skills. But there was also a lot of frustration -- we could have been so much better. As the Cubs say -- wait until next year. Thanks.