All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 09:33 

Hello! I would like to put on a basketball camp for the girls at our elementary school. We are a small school and our elementary kids play in a co-ed league that lasts for several weeks with about 8 games played. I would really like to focus on the girls and help them out with some basic skills and give them another opportunity for playing ball besides the league they are in. I have some basketball background (youngest of eight kids with seven of us playing ball all through high school) and understand the game. I haven't done much coaching, but would like to do so. I was wondering if you have some tips for me of how I should organize the camp... I'm thinking of holding it for 1-2 hours each day after school for a week or so. I can see that the girls need a lot of help with all of the basics...shooting, passing, dribbling, etc. I'm just not sure how to best use the time.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Nichole

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 09:35 

Nicole,

I've organized many summer clinics similar to what you are doing.
I did them for 3 summers with my sons agegroup and have done it for my daughter for the past 4 summers, 4th thru 8th grade. They were very popular and successful. Biggest tip is to have an overall objective and be organized. I would run these clinics 2 days a week, 2 hours each, for the months of July and August.

First steps:

Generate interest- ask parents, kids. See who would be interested, how many kids? What agegroup?

Seek parent volunteers to help you plan, organize, and help you with coaching

Meet with your parent helpers to establish overall goals, gym time, dates and times for camp, coaching coverage, player safety concerns, practice plans, cost, equipment needed

Once you secure gym time and dates, generate a flyer to promote the camp. Make it look professional...this is YOU!!! Circulate the flyer via email and hard copies around town.

Make a simple Word registration form and a medical release form that the parents must sign.

Order cool camp practice jerseys. Call a local novelty shop or search online. I feel these practice jerseys are essential. It gives your camp legitimacy and the kids think it's cool. Custom tee's generally run about $14 per shirt. Think of a cool logo on front with the name of the camp. On the back I have always had a cool basketball slogan or quote. Order the cut-off sleeve style. To offset these costs, and others, charge like $20 for player registration.

Stay in touch with all the parents of the camp with a weekly email stating goals for the week, practice format, etc.

First practice:
-Hand out tee shirts
-Have a player meeting with your coaches, introducing them to the players, go over rules and practice format
-Have a parent meeting after first practice so parents can meet you and your coaches, hear about your objectives and ask questions

For the first couple practices I would stick to basic fundamentals of dribbling, passing and shooting form being that they are elementary school level and will have a variety of talent levels.

Other tips:
-Always have 2 coaches on hand at all practices
-Purchase a good medical first aid kit with many ice packs for injuries
-Coaches must carry cellphones on them in case of emergencies
-Have a parent list of home phone numbers and emergency contact numbers in the 1st aid kit just in case
-Allow breaks every now and then
-Keep it upbeat and fun!!!

As for practice format, I've always started with
-Warmups
-Dribbling and Ballhandling Drills
-Passing Drills
-Proper Shooting Form
-Stationary Shooting Drills
-Motion Shooting Drills
-Fun stuff, always include a couple fun basketball drills. Dribble Tag, Red Light Green Light, Musical Chairs while dribbling a ball,
-End with a fun organized scrimmage.

Gradually introduce defenses, rebounding and boxing out, rules of the game while always reinforcing the fundamentals of the game.

There are a plethora of fun youth drills on the front page of this website...USE THEM!!!

These local camps/clinics are so important in a young girls basketball development. You and your coaches will see the results
down the road!!

Have Fun!!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 15:50 

Thanks...this is helpful!

Nichole

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010, 09:47 

Nicole,

2 more things that I forgot:

-Feedback from players and parents

-Post-Camp Coaches Meeting

You and your coaches would like to know how the kids enjoyed the camp and what you can do to improve if you choose to continue running this camp next year. Generate a survey via phone calls or email to gain this information.

As for the meeting, keep it casual. Me and my coaches usually meet at a bar and discuss the camp/clinic over a few beers. Discuss what worked well and areas for improvement.

If you need rough drafts of my clinic docs you can email me at
george.appleby@weatherford.com
These docs are a good starter, you can modify to fit your program.

Out,

Coach A

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 17:48 

Sounds good. Thanks!