All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 17:37 

I coach for a local middle school with a brand new program. I would say that none of these girls play at a middle school level. I decided to offer them the opportunity to play at local youth tournaments around the area to get some experience and learn how to play as a team more. I explained to the tournament director that we would be a 7th grade & U team very inexperienced. He said he would put us in a silver or b bracket etc. The Wednesday of the tournament he said we had 4 teams in our bracket and the schedule wouldn’t be published.

The day of the tournament not only were these teams 8th grade gold level teams but one was a national local AAU champion only looking for points toward their status for AAU while the others wanted to say that they had played this team.

The first game we just took the game as practice however against the national AAU champs they tried to humiliate my team and laughed at them. My girls were brave in the third game and held their own at 10-2 for the entire first half of 20 mins and then we don’t have the depth to keep up.

But now I have parents who want to play more but some who are angry - I do feel like the guy should have mentioned it to me but I can’t control who signs up?

These girls desperately need to play. When I played tournaments were fun? We do not have a 2 or 3 player that can help the PG or get the ball to our two 6ft tall post players- they are not getting better playing each other, should we just do fundamental camps? I don’t want to do middle school team camp bc who knows who will be there and the same parents may not think that was a wise choice for their children either?

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 06:29 
Site Admin

For tournaments you can't control who signs up but with experience you learn which tournaments consistently get teams. My first couple years doing tournaments we signed up for a few duds and a few got cancelled. But now I know them all and we get pretty good competition for us.

I would talk with another coach of team a year older and has a similar talent team. Find out what tournaments they went to and what he/she recommends.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 16:56 

Tournaments can be brutal, no doubt. Depends upon who is running the tourney, etc. Are there any leagues for the spring or summer? 3 v 3? Leagues can be a good option if they have different levels and enough teams participating.