All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 07:38 

Hi guys- I've been a big fan and follower for years and have this season taken on a (volunteer) coaching challenge that I'm having trouble finding good ideas for. I've got a team of seven (yes, 7!) girls at a small private school, and since there isn't a formal league, we're mostly playing middle school "B" teams. My girls, though, are mostly small 4th and 5th graders. I've made my main focus skill development- getting better each quarter and controlling what we can. But I'd really like to get them a win. I know you get asked for help all day every day, but if you have any tips for a small team playing teams twice their size and two feet taller, with a pretty basic-but growing- skill set (we're still working on dribbling with our heads up), I would be so appreciative of any insight at all. They're good girls and as a female athlete, all I want for them is to love the game, keep playing, and be better at the end of the year than at the beginning- both as basketball players and human beings. But a few more points would be really, really nice.

Thanks for reading this far and for all you do for youth sports!
Angie (Coach Benson)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 08:15 
Site Admin

I think you are doing the right things. Set small attainable goals and work on skill improvement. Maybe goal is to get 15 team rebounds (improving upon last game). Or hold the opponent under 30 points.

Winning just might not be an option... seems like it will be very difficult to win against players that much older. You should still try but there is only so much you can do.

I usually focus on really good man to man defense, BLOB plays and defense, skill development, hustling and motion. We usually get some wins but when playing up that many levels I'm not sure we'd be able to.

Set other attainable goals and celebrate them! Kids just want to play and improve. Show them they are improving and they will have fun.