All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 17:51 

Hi Coach,

I coach in an instructional league that has this rule. I want to know your thoughts on it.
I have my own opinion, but I want to see what you think...

Attachments:
Playing Time.png
Playing Time.png [ 31.47 KiB | Viewed 18307 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 06:46 
Site Admin

I don't have a problem with this rule. But it just depends on the league, the goals, of the league, and so on. Like any rule, there are pros and cons. So you have to look at the specific league and the big picture regarding that league.

For my teams where we play in tournaments, I do not like that rule. I try to develop my players by matching them up against similar level opponents. At youth level, playing time is not always equal for certain games but I do try to get everyone equal minutes for the season. I want them challenged but not challenged too much. I also want everyone to get chances to start and finish them game. So they get exposed to all these situations and learn. I also sometimes use the bench as a motivate and teaching tool to get max effort from everyone.

But if I had a league with a bunch of volunteer coaches, a wide variety of player skill levels, then I might consider that rule. The good thing is they are attempting to match players up with similar skill level and they communicate that rule ahead of time. I like that. So parents know what they are getting into.. and if they don't like it they go choose a different league.