All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 13:06 

I've given out awards to every player for 4th and 5th grade travel and will do so again at the end of this 6th grade travel season.

The last two years we've done:
Team MVP
MVP - offense
MVP - defense
Leadership awards
Sixth Woman
Rookie of the year (when we had two newcomers)
Most Improved
Sportsmanship (sometimes it's the default for a player that just doesn't seem to fit anything else, this year it will be given to a very deserving girl whose attitude has done a 180)

I have 10 players and I'm planning:
MVPs: Team, Offense, Defense
Sixth Woman
Sportsmanship
Most Improved/Rookie of the Year (we have one newcomer)
Lady Pirate Award (leadership, could go to 1 or 2 girls)

I want to get creative for a couple of other awards. I have one girl that has stepped into our point guard role and is starting to become an outstanding passer. She gets the ball moving in our offense and she has been remarkable finding players up the floor on fast breaks. She's also stepped up her defensive anticipation and created more steals. She's not quite an offensive or defensive MVP, so I want to create something unique for her. She's previously won offensive mvp and was last year's Lady Pirate award winner.

The other was last year's most improved player. It was her first year ever playing any basketball. This year she is even more improved and has become an outstanding defender and is maybe the best on the team at taking charges. And she loves to take the charges. I want to create some sort of award in that regard, something creative with credit card type theme (charge card) but I'm at a mental block and need help! LOL

The last is a girl that has had a strange season, both attitude and development wise. Can't leave her out but it's been tough to think of something to award her with. She has played pretty tough in terms of boxing out and coming up with loose balls throughout periodic stretches this season so I might create something around that.

Just looking for some creative ideas and brainstorming!

PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 14:19 

Wow! I'm impressed by all your effort on these awards, very cool. I know you're looking for some practical awards, but I'm going to throw out a few non skill related:

Craziest socks
Most high gives given to teammates
Brightest shoes
Best listener
Most fun
Best hustle
Most energetic

On the charges you could use something like:
Hit the floor award
No fear award
Took one for the team award

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 10:00 
Site Admin

Coach MT, I love the effort you put into this.

Just something to consider... My 8th grade baseball team did this and it left a sour taste in my mouth. Of course, I was 13 and I didn't probably handle it as well as I should have.

My 7th grade year I did not play baseball. My 8th grade year I came back.

I earned "Comeback Player of the Year". I remember thinking sarcastically... "Yeah. Great award... I was the only player that came back." It also made me feel stupid and embarrassed among my peers. It was one of the reasons I did not pursue baseball any more. Yes. I know... stupid and immature, but that's what we deal with as coaches with our young athletes.

While I know they had good intentions now, looking back, at the time, I would have rather received nothing.

Because of this, I don't mess with player awards at the youth level.

Additionally, I've seen too many issues arise from it. Parents getting mad. Players getting mad.

Even at the high school level, I wouldn't mess with it.

Just my two cents. I may not have handle this situation as well as you and it may work great for you.